Clear all

Please help get some equipment working

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Im trying to connect my new mixer into my computer to record but I dont know which plug is the soundcard. Anyone know what color it would be. Or if you connect it to the mic or speaker inputs?

edit: Still not quite sure where I could plug it in, theres two plugs with the same symbol one of them is where I used to have my speakers plugged in. There is also a mic input. And then down at the bottom something has like 5 plugs but none seem right for the 1/8 plug and my soundcard was supposed to be integrated. Its a pretty good one though on a soyo dragon ultra motherboard.

I also tried to use my laptop and It didnt seem to work either, is there some setting I need to change, or some other program that would work better?

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

A soundard has two general kind of 'holes': inputs and outputs. The speakers are connected to the speaker-output: the sound from the soundcard goes out of the card into the speakers. To get anything *in* your card you must need an input. Usually you have two kinds of inputs: line level and microphone. You need to use line-level-input. It's green here but it could be anything, depending on your soundcard. Try your soundcard's manual or look at the tiny symbols next to eat hole.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=23622

Towards the end, Mikespe explains to me how to go about hooking a mixer into a soundcard. It might help.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

but what do i have to do computer set up wise?

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

but what do i have to do computer set up wise?

Like what kind of connections and wires? If so, I would say an RCA-1/8" adapter to go from the mixer to the line in on your computer.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

yes but I cant make my computer recognize evrything and let me record, im using audacity and I tried selecting like mic input and line in input.

-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

YEEEESSS I DID IT!!! HAHA thanks everyone

-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Congratulations man! Are we going to be here some tunes shortly?

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

posted some stuff on hear here

-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Just quickly on Soyo motherboards. The commercial computers and networking sales department ot the retail chain that I work for dropped the Soyo line because they had a tendancy to come in with a better than 25% failure rate. Secondly, there is no such thing as a good onboard soundcard.

However being that it is the only one you have, get the rca to 1/8" as OHG suggested and go from the tape out on the mixer to the line input on the soundcard. It's either red or yellow. The black output is digital out and the green is your speaker out. Unless your mixer has an instrument input, you may want to invest in a DI box. Either that or mic your amp. These simple things will boost your sound quality ten fold.

Download asio4all and install it. Download Audacity or better yet Kristal audio engine. These are free recording programs. Please don't download cracked software. This drives the price of recording software real high for people like me who buy legit software.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote