Clear all

Question About Audacity?

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mercymefan)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey I have a question about audacity, kind of.

I know its good for recording your guitar, but I have another question, i've recorded myself singing, for singing practice, but when i'm singing I can hear myself and I think I sound pretty good. Though I know I don't sound the exact same in my ears, I know I would sound familar.

But on what I recorded, I sound way off, its wierd, I don't think its audacity I guess lol. Is it the mic maybe? I have this little mic that is about the size of a thumb maybe a bit bigger, and it gets small a little when it goes down a little. Anyways, could that be why I don't sound like what I would expect? I really don't think I would sound like what I recorded. And are those singing or vocal recording things you can get at a store, worth buying, I mean would they record my voice better?

Thanks for any help :D

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

What is a singing/vocal recording thing? In any case, yeah, the mic matters a lot. What you hear is partially the sound that goes outside from your mouth into your ear and partly the sound that reaches your ear from within your head. That sounds different from recordings, kinda like your voice will sound 'weird' to you when you look at a homevideo. Different mics will make a big impact, as will the quality of the mic pre-amp. But don't forget that the final recording will always be different from what you expect, it will be far closer to how others hear your voice everyday.

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

MercyMeFan
It takes some time to get used to hear your voice as other hear it.....
But, even a tiny mic will get the most right, but a good mic will give better bass and have straighter frequency response.
Have you recorded yourself before, for example on a tape/cassette recorder ?

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

All the above is correct but also add about .6 re-verb ( echo ) it actually makes your voice sound closer to what you think it sounds like ..

Don't know why but it does

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

All the above is correct but also add about .6 re-verb ( echo ) it actually makes your voice sound closer to what you think it sounds like ..

Don't know why but it does

You're right, since you sing real close to a mic you'll mostly record your voice without the room reverberations. By adding some reverb/delay you will create a 'virtual room' as it where and add the missing parts of the sound right back in. Overdo it and it'll sound as if you're singing in a container.

ReplyQuote
(@mercymefan)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

MercyMeFan
It takes some time to get used to hear your voice as other hear it.....
But, even a tiny mic will get the most right, but a good mic will give better bass and have straighter frequency response.
Have you recorded yourself before, for example on a tape/cassette recorder ?
I don't think I have recorded myself on a tape/cassette.

And thanks so far for all the help guys. :D

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Maybe get some headphones and monitor yourself while singing. That way you'll hear what's actually being recorded.

ReplyQuote
(@mercymefan)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Maybe get some headphones and monitor yourself while singing. That way you'll hear what's actually being recorded.

How much would something like that cost, and could you maybe give me a link, so I know what i'm looking for please :D

Thanks for all the help again guys. :D

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Well, any headphone will do. They come in various price classes but there is little need to spend the big bucks if you're not going to be building a good quality home studio. A basic pair of headphones: http://www.behringer.com/HPS3000/index.cfm?lang=ENG . Should retail at around $18. All you do is plug the mic in your mixerboard (or soundcard, but that will result in much lower soundquality!) and plug the headphone in the soundcard's line-out or mixer's headphone-out and you're done. The sound that comes into the mixerboard/soundcard will be recorded and send to the headphones.

ReplyQuote