Clear all

Replace soundcard or??

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

When I turn the volume up on my computer speakers there appears to be a hiss mixed with a sputtering noise. This is with no sound file being played. Does this sound like a card problem or what do you suggest. Also when I try to record sometimes Audacity crashes completely. My computer is an HP Pavilion the sound card is a Rockwell Riptide. How much technical knowledge is needed to replace the card if needed and what is the best one to get. Another site recommends several a common one being M Audio Audiophile 2496. Thanx for your input
Robbie
Sorry for the ramble but as I said before, a guru, I'm not !!!

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

The sound card is probably OK but what the heck if it is a good excuse to get a real good one go for it :twisted: :lol: . And I swear by the M-Audio products. I have a Mobile PreUSB and love it.

Anyway, check one thing. Open the volume control and mute one function at a time and see if the noise goes away. After you have done all of the playback ones go into options/properties and switch to recording and lower the microphone volume and then try muting it and any other recording options it shows.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanx a bunch Nils you earned your bux tonight. As soon as I lowered the microphone volume the irritating noise went away. So one more quick question. On the other site it was recommended that to connect to the line in, you should use a 1/4 " female "stereo" to 1/8 " male "mono" adapter. Is this correct? I have ordered a Behringer 1202 FX mixer and will be using this for reording as soon as it gets here. Are the outputs on the behringer stereo and will I also need the reverse adapter coming from the mixer. I want to get the right adapter and cables when I pick up the mixer as I live 30 miles from the city. Thanx
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i have the 2496 m-audio and i think it rox

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Glad the mic idea solved the problem.

Adapters are pretty cheap so you may want to pick up a variety.

The line outs of the mixer take either stereo or mono jacks one for left and one for right but mono cables will be what you want.

The line in on your PC is probably mono so you will want to go from 1/4 mono to 1/8 mono assuming you will be using mono cables for the mixer to PC using left channel only. Or if you want to record from both channels of the mixer then you will also need a Y adapter with 2 - 1/4 mono in and 1/8 mono out.

I would pick up:

1/4 mono female to to 1/8 mono male adapter
Y adapter with 2 - 1/4 mono female in to 1/8 mono male out.
1 or 2 mono patch cables (short guitar cables) to go from mixer to card.

If you are going from your amp to the mixer then you will need 1 or 2 more cables.

Hope this helps

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanx for all the help Nils, you probably saved me at least one trip back to the store. Twisted glad to hear you like your card I will put it on my GAS list. Nils good idea about using the mike noise as an excuse to fool my wife. Now I can turn up the mike volume and demonstrate to her why I need a new sound card Pronto.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
 MCH
(@mch)
Trusted Member

In my experience so far I find a soundcard makes a difference. Just going from the built in soundchip RealTek Audio 97 to a SoundBlaster Live helped a lot with the annoying hiss. I definitely have the M-Audio 24/96 (appropriate for music recording and pennywise) on my list for my next purchase. I'm waiting for my Audio Technica condenser mikes to get here. I'm sure they will be a huge improvement over a cheap NexxTech dynamic mike that I tried.

ReplyQuote