Soundcard input for...

Notifications
Clear all

Soundcard input for recording

15 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

One of the basic tips is to avoid the mic input on the standard soundcards in PC´.
They normally are very bad and don´t work with good microphones.
Use the line input with an external mixer or pre-amp.

You can find similar information about PC soundcards here http://www.epanorama.net/links/pc_sound.html and here http://www.shure.com/support/technotes/app-soundcard.html

Question about using the mic input on a laptop...I don't have a line-in jack but I do have a mic input. I just purchased an M-Audio Buddy Interface Preamp from eBay thinking it was a USB interface. However it only has the 1/4" output jacks (I must have been sleeping when I researched this :oops: )...

If I get the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter will the preamp help the sound quality? I could get a Griffin iMic usb interface that will add a line in to the laptop but that's another $30...Keep in mind I don't need PROFESIONAL quality but enough where I can share my recordings and they don't sound like crap.

Thanks

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Mike, how were you inputting your V-Amp to the PC? Your pre-amp should work the same way. If it was into the mic jack then the 1/4 to 1/8 should work. Just make sure the volume is low on the pre-amp or you can overdrive the mic/soundcard

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Mike, how were you inputting your V-Amp to the PC? Your pre-amp should work the same way. If it was into the mic jack then the 1/4 to 1/8 should work. Just make sure the volume is low on the pre-amp or you can overdrive the mic/soundcard

I never had my V-Amp in the PC...only the GuitarPort...

I WANT to connect my V-Amp to the Laptop...this M-Audio BUddy will do the trick but I screwed up when researching it. I thought it was a USB interface...it's not...only the 1/4" output jack

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I was just thinking..If I get the mixer I wanted would that help protect my computer's sound card? I can control the source volume better that way?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Can you pass the pre-amp through the guitarPort and just use it as an adapter?

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Can you pass the pre-amp through the guitarPort and just use it as an adapter?

GuitarPOrt to PC

V-Amp to Laptop

TWO seperate systems...two seperate connections...

I want to EXCLUSIVELY use my laptop AND V-Amp for recording....No more PC or GuitarPort...

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Your probably not going to be happy with the mic input so what I was suggesting was just to use the GuitarPort as a USB adapter not it's pre-amp or effects.

You can try the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter and see how it sounds but you are stuck with the quality of the soundcard. Just make sure the line out of the pre-amp is low.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thx Nils...I figure that woulsd happen :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I can't believe I was so stupid....I usually research products very well before buying on eBay...

I am looking a getting a cheap PCMCIA Soundcard for the laptop...

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi Mike
Even if the Laptop/soundcard only has one physical mic input, it may also work as an line input (my simple SB Live! soundcard has this design).
In this case there is two pre-amps (one high-gain for mic and one low-gain for line) behind the connector.
If so you should be able to select between mic and line inputs in Windows (or soundcard) Volume Controls.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Hi Mike
Even if the Laptop/soundcard only has one physical mic input, it may also work as an line input (my simple SB Live! soundcard has this design).
In this case there is two pre-amps (one high-gain for mic and one low-gain for line) behind the connector.
If so you should be able to select between mic and line inputs in Windows (or soundcard) Volume Controls.
AHHHHH Kalle You're AWESOME! However I wish I had seen your post sooner...I just got this Philips PSC805 5.1 External USB Sound Card from eBay for $19 (plus $15 shipping). At least I didn't get the $99 soundcard I was going to get! There are great reviews on this Philips External Soundcard for any who are interested. The seller has several more of them at great prices. Heck, if Kalle's idea works I may even sell the one I just one...

It's sad...I know a ton about desktop computers and even built 2 of them for the bottom up. I am new to laptops so I don't know all the little things these computers are capable of! I am still getting used to the wireless iinternet :oops: :lol: :lol:

Thanks again Kalle! This is good for EVERYONE to know!

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Just a couple of random thoughts on using sound card inputs for recording.

1) If the sound card has a line in then connecting any line outs from amps, mixers, pre-amps etc. will work with no physical problem.

2) Inputing from other devices to microphone in can work as long as the input is low and mic is set low. In other words a line out from something might work OK but speaker or headphone outs to mic in could be problematic.

3) No matter how good the source is the sound could be degraded to the level of the sound card.

4) More than likely an external sound card may not have access to the PC speakers since they are generally hard wired to the internal sound card (especially laptops).

5) Guitar directly into line in will work but sound will be flat.

6) Guitar directly into mic in will work but will also sound flat. Could damage sound card but I have no proof of that.

7) Some mic in jacks also act as line in so that is worth checking into. Just try changing your recording input to line in and see if it works.

8) Going from the sound card headphone jack to the CD/AUX input of an amp will actually work and makes for a good choice for external speakers. Just set the headphone volume to low.

If I think of more I will add them but feel free to comment or add to the list.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@estambre)
Estimable Member

Hello!

On his last post says that both mic in and line in leave the guitar's sound flat.

What's the home recording alternative?

Thanks a lot

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Use a mixer or pre-amp.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@estambre)
Estimable Member

Thanks, Graybeard.

You mean this definitely a thing to do.
I guess you mean (and Nils implies) it is then time to use line in, am I right?

What are the most basic features in a pre-amp or mixer?

Any advice on affordable ones?

Thanks again

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

6) Guitar directly into mic in will work but will also sound flat. Could damage sound card but I have no proof of that.I have some :cry:

Either my practice amp (headphone out to line-in and/or headphone out to mic-in) or my zoom pedal (same) killed my soundcard's input. It be fer listenin' only now :)

Luckily I'm just about to be USB'd up to the eyeballs.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote