Clear all

Still Hate Garageband...Help

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I thought my Garagband problems were over as it hasn't given me any problems in a few weeks. Yesterday it was fine and nothing actually changed but today I have this horrible static-y sound when I try to record. It is on both the vocal and the guitar channels. I can hear it through the headphones and it gets recorded. It makes my guitar sound like something that is not even a guitar sound. What is it and how do I get rid of it?

(@southpaw_pete)
Eminent Member

It doesn't really sound like something your software would generate. Download Audacity (if you don't already have it - its free recording software), and try recording on that to see if the noise is still there.

You don't give details of your signal chain, but its more likely the problem is with a faulty component - maybe a processor, a cable or a mixer.

If the problem persists, swap out or eliminate each part of your signal in turn to see if any of them is causing the unwanted noise.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

also check the buffers. you may need to back off or increase. I thought once I set a buffer they remain that way. nope. I had to readjust a couple of times.
I have read about component clocks not being in sync and causing that noise.
I have read that having a computer monitor too close to the mic or guitar can cause that noise.
don't face the screen when recording.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

unplug everything and try making a recording without any live sources. What happens then?

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Oh, and I may be up that way on Wednesday/Thursday near the Newark Airport.

ReplyQuote
(@joefish)
Trusted Member

Diddo the buffer thing. I use Sonar and whenever my audio sounds satiticy and glitchy on recording and playback, it usually means my buffers are set too low. I'll jack them up a couple and all is well. I don't know Garageband very well, although my wife swears by it, but I assume it has some buffer setting somewhere.

==================
Pat
joefish
SilverBox

"Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice".
Robert Fripp

ReplyQuote