Clear all

Vinyl to Computer

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Whats the best application out there for ripping odl vinyls to mp3/wav? My uncle got a massive collection of great vinyls that he wants on a mp3player.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

beebumpalula :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@furious_b)
Eminent Member

You need:

A computer, a mixer, cables

Take the outputs of your record player and plug them into the inputs of the mixer, L & R, then take the outputs of the mixer and plug them into your computers audio input, then using any type of audio recorder play the record and record it to your computer

good luck

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Some soundcard also have aux inputs you can use. Or you can simply get a convertor that will turn the record outputs down into a plug that can go into the sound card's line in or mic input.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Just to clarify: a phonograph's outputs will be at line level. So, a dual rca to single stereo mini plug should do the trick.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

And be much cheaper than a mixer. :D

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I found a program fo about $30 called magix audio cleaning lab 2005. works very well, I use it to transfer my cassette 4-track recordings to my hard drive. For the money it a very good value-the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Actually, a magnetic phono output(from a record player), while still using RCA jacks, can be a much lower level signal than from , for example, a tape player, so i'm not so sure that going directly to the computer would work. You'd need a mixer with a "phono" imput, and line output.

ReplyQuote
(@maxx)
Eminent Member

Good point xg5a. I figured that one out the hard way! Ended up getting this little thingie, and haven't regretted it. One thing we can thank modern DJ's for is keeping some of the old turntable accessories available!

Other than that... If you're not trying to remaster you should be able to go straight into your computer. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that if your soundcard has sub-standard adc's you my want to go through a mixer with its own converters (or perhaps an outboard/stand-alone converter) and then into your PC via spdif. Most consumer-grade soundcards really suck when it comes to clean analog to digital conversion. Trust me - I'm still using a Soundblaster! Ahh... But someday...

Hope this helps... Best of luck!!

~Maxx

ReplyQuote
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member

Unless your turntable has a ceramic cartridge (unlikely and hopefully not) you will need to feed the signal through a phono pre-amp first. Magnetic and moving coil cartridges are designed differently to anything else that plugs into a typical line level input and the simple version is the frequency response will be degraded badly as well as the signal being too low which will introduce more noise.

Stand alone pre-amps like mentioned above will do the trick but the simplest method is if your hi-fi / amp has a RIAA input and tape outputs then you can just use that, the signal at the tape out will pass the equalised signal ready for line in.

Hope that makes sense.. :)

Lee

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

I do it the easy way as I have a stero CD recorder. MY TT plugs into my head unit and I just make a CD. Might as well as I spent to much on a home stereo CD recorder. But for making CD's from LP's this works great and it is what we bought it for.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

good stuff guys thanx :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote