Which mic

26 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, I purchased the M-Audio Mobile Pre and now the guitar sounds pretty good. But I need a mic. I see alot of people suggesting the Shure SM57 so I called my local music shop and to my suprise they said that it wouldnt be best for recording. That it was a great live mic. They suggested an Audo Technica Large Diaphram Condenser, I believe. I was definatly Audio Technica and about 100 dollars.

I dont want to go really expensive but I dont want really cheap either.

Suggestions?

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

The Shure SM 57 is the one I am planning on getting to go with the M-Audio PreUSB and mixer that I am also getting ready to buy. I have listened to some of what Tracker recorded with it and it sounded pretty good.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Which mixer are you going with? What exactly does a mixer do for me? Will it help control the audio levels? Right now, its really tough to keep everything at the right volume.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

The mixer I am planning on getting is the Behringer Eurorack UB1002 Mixer. about $60. The mixer will give you better control over the input volume and tone etc.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

For those on a budget the Behringer XM8500 mic is really good as well. I mic my amps with it and run it through my Behringer UB802 mixer. Sounds pretty good to me. I posted a clip in my Squier thread which was recorded using the above equipment. Those Shure's are like $100, so they aren't all that cheap, IMO.

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Off topic a little, but do you like the UB802? My buddy wants to get one for the band for home recording and some little projects of his own, and we dont need anything with a lot of inputs or outputs right this second.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Off topic a little, but do you like the UB802? My buddy wants to get one for the band for home recording and some little projects of his own, and we dont need anything with a lot of inputs or outputs right this second.

I like it, but my needs are very simple. It still has enough inputs and outputs for a small band though. It's very quiet and you can't beat the price. I know a guy who uses one live for his acoustic solo stuff and is very happy with it.

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Cool, thanks!

And now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

For the mic, I would suggest the MXL 990 & 991 Package. I own it and really like the quality of it. I am shocked that they sell it for $99. I would invest in a good pop filter, too.

As for mixers, yes they will give you more control over your sound. They will allow you to control your line level, high-mid-low in (3-band) EQ and your trim level. The Behringer mixers are a good bang for the buck.

If you decide to go with the mixer, you can go – Mixer output > MobilePre “Stereo Mic”. From there you use both Channel 1 and Channel 2 to balance the left and right, which gives you better control of your sound. You will need a RCA to 1/8in cable to do that.

Mike

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I forgot to mention, the Shure SM57 (dynamic mic) is a great instrument mic. It says, instrument/vocal but, I've tested and always heard its better for instruments.

I also have the Shure SM57, but in your case you want a quality vocal (condenser) mic.

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

For a *First* mike, I'd recommend you get the SM-57. It's a good general purpose mike, it's rugged, not horribly expensive and it's one you'll be able to keep and use for years and years.

Once you have more funds, and are Gassing, I'd add a large diaphragm condensor, and a matched pair of small diaphragm condensors

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

You will not be able to find a professional studio without an SM57. They are an old standby and for good reason.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

That MXL package looks pretty neat. I was thinking of getting the 991 for acoustic guitars (we have an AT 3035 for the large diaphragm sound), but the package looks sweet for $99.

I've never used or tried the 57. It is one of the standards and I hear it's a great all around utility mic. Really durable and stable. We've got a couple of 58s left over from the '80s, and they've got a similar sound I understand - more proximity effect used close up. Real sturdy too. But the top end is what - 18khz or so? I like condensers for recording because they (most times) go up to 20khz and down to 20 or 30hz depending. Not that you'd always use all that frequency band, but it's nice to have.

I might go for the 993.

And then now I've read that omnidirectional mics (like the Nady CM100) are also good for acoustics. I don't know if that would be the greatest thing given the noisy environment I record in, but now I'm thinking about those too!

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Forgot to mention that most condenser mics require power, either battery or phantom through the board, whereas the dynamics (the 57 and 58) don't. I don't know if your rig has mic powering capabilities or not. It might be something to consider.

Take care.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I can't remember what it was that the UB802 lacked, that made me go for the UB1002 - an excellent piece of kit for a very good price.
I also have a Shure SM57, which is a very good all round mic.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2