Clear all

A Whiter Shade of Pale - finger style lesson

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@planetalk)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/whiter/ is where to go.

Cheers,

Kirk

Posted : 26/09/2005 7:37 am
(@phangeaux)
Estimable Member

Thank you Kirk, this was one of the greatest songs of the 1960s, in fact listed by Rolling Stone Magazine at #57 of the 500 greatest songs of all time. More about the song here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Whiter_Shade_of_Pale

Released in 1967 and popular during a time of the worste part of the War in Viet Nam, (ie: Tet Offensive, Feb, 1968) and during the strongest time for the Peace Movement and cultural movements of the late 60's, (ie: Summer of Love, 1967), the lyrics are mysterious, the music is so beautiful with a depth that holds a broad range meanings for the listeners. For me it carries some very deep feelings, has a strong spiritual sense and it is to this day one of my favorite songs of all time, and is timeless.

The authors may not have known how far this song could take people. I think they hit on something magical beyond their expectations

Alot of great covers of this song have been recorded, but my favorite is still the original version by Procol Harem. If there was one song that I could pick to play in a big outdoor concert to take people on a beautiful emotional journey into the heavens and back, this would be right at the top of the list, along with some other ones, hopefully including at least one that I write. Oh, I'm a dreamer~

The is quoted from the website URL I showed above:
It has been said that John Lennon, in 1967, loved this song so much that he would listen to it through headphones over & over during long journeys in the back of his limo. Upon reaching his destination, he would remain lying on the back seat, saying he had to hear it a few more times before getting out of the car.

Thanks for the video, Kirk.

Phangeaux

Phangeaux
BadBadBlues

Posted : 26/09/2005 11:51 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/whiter/ is where to go.

Cheers,

do you yourself make these lessons (videos)

Posted : 26/09/2005 2:31 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

one if my favorites, thank you :D
Do you plan on doing any more lessons on this song (expand on what you have here)?

Posted : 26/09/2005 7:21 pm
(@planetalk)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

do you yourself make these lessons (videos)
Yes John ... I have two cameras, I also record the sound with a good mic. I then bring the two clips and the sound file into Adobe Premiere, sync them all up, get rid of the camera sound, do the insert ... create the chord symbols etc ... it's quite involved but I've got it down to a couple of hours for these short lessons.

Kirk

Posted : 26/09/2005 9:56 pm
(@planetalk)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Do you plan on doing any more lessons on this song (expand on what you have here)?
I hadn't really planned on it, but I'll have a look ... see what I can do.

Kirk

Posted : 26/09/2005 9:57 pm
(@phangeaux)
Estimable Member

Hey Jim,
Recalling the video I think that is pretty much the basis of the whole song, however you might try working out the song in C, the original key, and I suppose you can take it anywhere beyond the basic. I haven't worked on the song myself.

Also I have heard some great covers of this song, for example if you like alot of guitar work:

H.S.A.S.
Sammy Hagar (vocals), Neal Schon (guitar), Kenny Aaronson (bass), Michael Shrieve (drums)

THESE guys have collected over 200 recorded versions of this song and they have them listed, 255 versions as of the Oct 4, 2001! 203 MP3 samples as well:

http://www.awsop.com/

Maybe they ran out of money in 2001.

Another way to expand on it: I downloaded the basic sheet music a couple of years ago and began learning it on an organ. I liked the song so much I was willing to work at learning to play it from sheet music without even knowing how to play the piano, other than middle C and a C scale. I learned to play the first couple of lines, most of the organ part in only a couple of days, the song is that inspiring.

BTW, off topic but I was into studying rocketry and guidance systems years ago, pretty interesting. Take care

Phangeaux
BadBadBlues

Posted : 27/09/2005 12:52 pm