Clear all

Dirt Road Blues - Free lesson for main riff in E

15 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi this goes out to all the folks that have emailed me for more help on my lesson titled Dirt Road Blues. This song has been very popular and I have recieved hundreds of emails from folks. The one request I have more than anything is how to smooth out the bass roll at the end to segway back into the loop. This main riff in E is dreadfully simple when you start learning it but looks pretty daunting when you see me play it for the first time. If anyone else wants to learn this main riff you are welcome to it. When I make videos like this I usually try to post them online so the most people benefit. Enjoy.
Play 4mb Video or right click and download it

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 27/04/2005 8:29 pm
(@boogiechillun85)

Excellent as always!
And I thought I was the only one who had that Son House shirt.. lol..

Jim Arkuszewski
http://www.soundclick.com/jimarkuszewski

Posted : 29/04/2005 12:21 am
(@rodders)
Noble Member

I have to agree with boogiechillun85, this is first class stuff Littlebrother. I just wish I was able to get the timing right on the low E string using my thumb, I guess it just takes hours and hours of practice.
Well done littlebrother A+++

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

Posted : 04/05/2005 6:44 pm
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member

Good job! Can't waith to put my guitar at work with this.. :wink:

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

Posted : 04/05/2005 11:30 pm
(@jerrie4fingers)

little brother,

thanks for all of your great lessons.

i have the main riff for dirt road blues down pretty well, but could you explain how the rest of the song goes when you have a free minute, if there is such a thing :)

thanks
marty

Posted : 03/08/2005 2:39 pm
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi Marty,

Well I cant let too much out of the bag because I sell the full lesson on DVD with tabs. But let me give you a hint. I play that main riff then I roll into a simple G major chord and then lay down a simple A chord across the second fret then kinda roll back into the E7 main riff. Every once in a while I slide up to this little jazzy chord 5-0-5-6-7-x using the thumb and 3 fingers. Really simple song but the trick is getting the groove. Good luck with it.

Doug

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 03/08/2005 3:50 pm
(@jerrie4fingers)

hey little brother,

i hope i didn't offend asking for the rest of the song. i was unaware that a full version was available on your dvd. so, thanks for the advice, and the heads up about the dvd. i'm gettin it now :)

-mart

Posted : 03/08/2005 6:28 pm
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Oh no. No offense at all. Glad to help any way I can and thanks very much for your support and kindness

Doug

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 03/08/2005 7:05 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

So tell me , lil bro , which guitar are you playing.I like that much more :) :) :)

Posted : 21/09/2005 3:28 pm
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi rahul,

The video above has me playing a Santa Cruz SCGC brand guitar and the model is a "Vintage Southerner Deluxe"

I can't remember which guitar I used for the lesson on DVD.

Thanks
Doug

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 21/09/2005 3:58 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hey your road blues is amazing.Even i can do fairly good bit of fingerpicking.Now i will definatly try this thing.

Hey lil bro , can you please tell that how do we do Hammer ons and pull off while doing fingerpicking.It is really tough to me.Pull offs i can almost never do :?

Posted : 21/09/2005 4:24 pm
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi rahul,

It does take some hard work and some time. That's the frustrating thing but try practicing the hammer ons by themselves to build those muscles. Maybe create and invent some simple exercizes. For example hammer on from open string to fret 2 then pull off from 2 to 0. Within a few hours of starting these crazy boring little exercizes you will see your hands begin doing it automatically. The hammer on with the first finger on the E chord 3rd string 1st fret is one used constantly in blues so you might want to work on that one a lot. Hope this helps more

LB

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 21/09/2005 5:04 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

hey i mean i CAN do hammer ons easily while playing a riff pretty fast , but i CAN'T do them while changing chords.I meant how do we do them while we are changing chords.

And thanks a lot on your fast reply.You are quite helpful (you're the first one to call me by my name , thanks for that too :D :D :D )

Posted : 21/09/2005 5:10 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

And lil bro ,

I have been playing only since 6 months , mainly taking help of various internet lessons (text only).I can do pretty good i think in the sense that i was able to strum 'country roads' (using bass line country pattern ) and sing in my college party.(i can also play hotel california fingerpicked.)But still sometimes i feel that i am not moving anywhere.when i saw your video , i wondered will any time will come when i would be able to play in the ease like you can.Is it just ardourous practice or the length of time (i mean the time since you have been playing).

Its hard to find a good teacher out here and if i do , they are REALLY expensive :( .

Posted : 21/09/2005 5:16 pm
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Check out my personal site. I have tons of freebees on there and a ton of coaching. It does take some time but within a few years you should begin seeing a great deal of progress. Just record yourself on video or audio files and then go back and watch them a year from now. You will probably be shocked how much progress you make but it sometimes doesn't seem like it. More than anything learn all your basic chords and start listening to the radio and other sources and play what you love, try to train your ear to hum a song then find the chords to play. It's a lot of guessing at first but after a few years you become really good at it. Dont be afraid to teach yourself either. One night playing live or open mic or even a party is worth 1000 practices. I hope you stick with it and just work hard and you'll really enjoy the progress. If you get stuck try some lessons but you really have to find the right teacher for you to be effective. I hope I dont sound preachy. I just think I know how you feel. Isee some people become fantastic players overnight and others struggle. The biggest thing is timing.

LB

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 21/09/2005 5:21 pm