Clear all

FREE VIDEO INSIDE - Blues Shuffle E Primer

19 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

This is not the first time I have had someone that watched my free web lessons or bought the DVD and had some difficulty mastering the E shuffle/boogie pattern in the song titled Lurlene. This is the cornerstone of the blues and I decided to sit down today and make a little movie primer on boogie in E. I made this generic so anyone can watch it and benefit. I would also say this is very accessible to beginners whether you fingerpick or strum with a regular flat pick. This is something that every guitarist should learn and master. This is free and I have no problem if people download and keep this video. In fact please share it with anyone you can.

--> PLAY or DOWNLOAD 10mb WMV movie 5 minutes of basic coaching

More freebees on my personal website

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 20/04/2005 3:37 pm
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Holy Cow!! Thanks Little Brother! I've been doing the blues shuffle since day one and I could never get it to sound right, very close but not right on. My mistake was not doing that mute between notes. Now it all makes sense!!!! Keep up the good work.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

Posted : 20/04/2005 5:40 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I have an upcoming review of Little Brother's lessons on DVD.

They are great blues videos and rather than a standard lesson format it's like sitting around with a friend learning songs.

I will be recommending them as soon as I dig out from under this pile of stuff.

Posted : 20/04/2005 5:53 pm
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Nick,

Your a good pal and I appreciate your support and this great site. I have learned SO much myself just being here and I love to pass this stuff along.

art,

Your post gives me great reward knowing that small piece has clicked in your mind. I know exactly what you mean by being able to play something but missing a critical piece of data.

Thanks again and I will check in as often as possible to try and help with any questions.

Sincerely,
Doug - LB

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 20/04/2005 6:00 pm
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

A picture (or in this case a movie) really does paint a thousand words doesn't it!!

Nice one - thanks a lot

All the best Little Brother!

Matt

Posted : 21/04/2005 9:31 am
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

ThankYou :)

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 23/04/2005 1:00 pm
(@greenstuart)
Estimable Member

Hi Little Brother-that is a brilliant video by the way but theres one thing I'm not sure on-it's the non playment of the second beat-why do you lift your finger off the a string if your not playing it on that beat?
maybe I'm being a bit stupid here...

Posted : 27/04/2005 6:02 pm
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi Green,

You dont have to lift your fingers at all but I like to get my hands in a steady motion and sometimes they lift up and sometimes they dont. I got this from watching and learning from some really great blues players on stage. There's alot of action and muting going on with both hands and sometimes extra movements like a rocking motion see-sawing my hand might help me with timing. Much like tapping your foot or something. I hope this is what you are asking about.

Let me know if this does not help, in summary there are really no rules. You can play and manipulate your hands anyway you feel best. I often use my pinky and first finger and that is a remarkably relaxed way to play a boogie for long periods on stage without getting tired because all four fingers are touching each other on the sides and supporting each other.

Thanks,
LB

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 27/04/2005 6:30 pm
(@greenstuart)
Estimable Member

Hi LB,is it just the bottom two strings you are playing ie effectively double stops or is it a more fluid motion-by the way thanks again...

Posted : 28/04/2005 1:40 pm
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi Green,

Yes in that video lesson I am just playing the 5+6 strings for the E boogie. So whatever my root note is like the open E the 5th note or B note is the second note. Then two frets up is the next note. So where ever you play that boogie the pattern is the same.

Thanks,
Doug

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 28/04/2005 3:21 pm
(@Anonymous)

LttleBrother,

THANK YOU! I have been trying to get this for a few weeks now but I have always thought the beat went 1-2 (first fret) 3-4 (4th fret). I never knew this was a triplet (you never would think by listening to it).

Plus I ahve always been using the Em chord for the first fret notes and the D chord for the treble notes..your way seems much easier and more versitle!

Thanks for your hard work!

Posted : 10/10/2005 11:35 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Hey Littlebrother

What an amazing and amazingly simple video. I have never been able to get a real blues rythem type of sound but I think I might be able to now.

Thanks a ton

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 18/10/2005 9:12 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I cant believe how difficult this is for me. It seems so easy but I am having a tough time with the 1 - 2 - 3, playing on 1 and 3 thing. I also need to practice on the little fills that really make it sound blues.

Dont get me wrong. Having a great time trying to make it sound right.. but its alot tougher than I thought it would be.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 19/10/2005 1:45 pm
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I cant believe how difficult this is for me. It seems so easy but I am having a tough time with the 1 - 2 - 3, playing on 1 and 3 thing. I also need to practice on the little fills that really make it sound blues.

Dont get me wrong. Having a great time trying to make it sound right.. but its alot tougher than I thought it would be.

Geoo
Geoo

What may help is using your foot on the floor. Tap your foot and count 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and ....
Pick the strings once when you count 1, then as your foot comes up from the floor after the 1 downbeat pick the two strings again. Getting two pickings in there is not hard but relaxing and letting it slip into a shuffle is the trick. You need to seriously buy some blues CDs and start listening to blues everyday. Maybe buy some Jimmy Reed, or Fabulous Thunderbirds, Maybe some Muddy Waters or Chicago style blues. You will begin feeling this shuffle as a part of your soul. Then relax and try to play along. Perhaps the problem is you have some pretty poor timing or maybe you just need more time soaking it in. For now follow my exercises slowly and count 123 123 123 123 and place the picking on the 1 and 3 eventually you will begin doing it and it will just happen. Hope this helps some.

My Guitar and Blues Site

Posted : 19/10/2005 2:17 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

You need to seriously buy some blues CDs and start listening to blues everyday. Maybe buy some Jimmy Reed, or Fabulous Thunderbirds, Maybe some Muddy Waters or Chicago style blues. You will begin feeling this shuffle as a part of your soul. Then relax and try to play along.

Thanks Little Brother. I have bought and have been listening to Buddy Guy, BB King, and Robert Johnson but I appreciate your list because I am always looking for new interests to listen to and I've become quite regular to your website because I find alot of different styles there. I am normally pretty good with timing, I do a little bit of drumming also, so I am sure that with practice I will get it.

Actually, I just remembered something you said in another (or maybe it was this) lesson and that is that you have to stop thinking with your analytical mind and relax. Last night, I was NOT relaxed and I know I was thinking it too much.

Anyways.. Thank you for the extra tips.

Geoo

Posted : 19/10/2005 2:30 pm
Page 1 / 2