Clear all

Hello Forum!

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@gtrguitar)
Topic starter

Hello guys,
My name is Cesar, I join the forum to see if you are able to provide some feedback to my project, I am hobbyist guitar player and computer engineer and I have seen than there is several guitar tab websites (like UltimateGuitar) that charges you to see the tablatures online, I got some sponsorship and created a non-profit, free as in free beer, and free as in free speech software to read and play (with sounds) tabs right in your browser, no setups, no downloads, just right there.

It is so open, that you can even copy the software and embed it here in the forum and it will work(or should hehe), just like that. I want to share it because if my sponsor shut it down I wont have money to keep it online, hopefully people grab copies to themselves while it last (it can actually run offline too).

If admins approve this as non-spam I could share it, let me know guys.

Posted : 24/07/2012 3:57 pm
(@alangreen)

Hallo, Cesar,

Right then - tell us what your software can and cannot do in more detail.

You have competition - Powertab is showing its age but it's out there and a lot of us use it.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 24/07/2012 4:46 pm
(@gtrguitar)
Topic starter

Hello Alan,
I don't see this as competition as nobody loose here only winners, Power Tab is a good software indeed no intention to replace it, here is my comparison review.

I called my software GTR-Guitar

1) Power Tab is Free, GTR-Guitar is Free too!
2) Power Tab is available for Windows only, GTR-Guitar runs on Windows, Linux, MacOS and any other O.S that can run Java Applets.
3) Power Tab works only (? not sure here) with PTB format, GTR-Guitar works with PTB, GP3, GP4, GP5 and TG formats.
4) Powe Tab requires download, installation and setup, GTR-Guitar runs right in your web browser, so you can take it with you anywhere
5) GTR-Guitar can open streaming tabs from internet (for example, go to Ultimate Guitar, and ask GTR-Guitar to open that tab without download it) (not sure if Power Tab can do this, I use Linux)
6) GTR-Guitar supports every fuature Power Tab in terms of notation and effects, as stated before, it can open PTB files.
7) GTR-Guitar is still open to suggestion and features, Power Tab seems to have died 6 years ago and there is no source code to improve it.
8) If you know how to code, you can contribute to GTR-Guitar source code.

What GTR-Guitar can NOT do, at least by now:
You can not create tablatures, it is a read&play only by now, in the future I plan if I have time to code this feature.

Defenitely GTR-Guitar can not replace Power Tab by now, but I think is a good way to start.

I have recorded a (not very good looking) youtube video here to explain the features, best viewed in HD 720p: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk9v7j-96Cg

You can access the software at http://guitar.nxgtrsim.com
(Make sure you have your java up-to-date)

Posted : 24/07/2012 5:11 pm