Clear all

intro | why i play guitar

3 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@dtbrady)
Topic starter

hey all. new here...so wanted to introduce myself

When I was 4 I used to play air guitar and bang on pots and pans on the kitchen floor and tell my parents friends when they came over that “I want to make mucus when I grow up” (yeah…. I couldn’t say music really at the time). It was the happiest memories of my childhood…..just pretending to rock and dreaming of doing it for real one day. Then I had a series of boring / bad band teachers or lame guitar instructors in grade school when I finally got my mom to sign me up for some lessons and dropped the whole thing not long after. When I was a junior in HS I saw Dave Mathews play an acoustic show and it blew my mind. I decided I NEEDED to learn guitar. I struggled to learn chords and after loads and loads and loads of work got pretty good. BUT I STILL couldn’t REALLY make music with others. And that’s where I got stuck. I am very very able to play guitar, and do it really pretty well. BUT I don’t know really HOW to play guitar. I don’t know scales, or read music, or know what to play in a particular key. I am more than skilled enough to be able to play with a band or jam at a party with friends but have to sit impotently on the sidelines and watch others have a blast jamming away because I don’t know HOW to join them. I would be physically able to play with others if I just knew WHAT to play. That 4 year old in me still just wants to make some ‘mucus’ now that I’m all grown up.

Posted : 20/03/2014 9:09 am
(@dtbrady)
Topic starter

Part II

Hey everyone

First and foremost THANK YOU to all of your for your comments, advice and honestly!

SO…..THERE IS SOMETHING I DIDN’T MENTION IN MY INITIAL POST.

You see that WAS MY story….BUT again..I only told you part of it. My tale from yesterday stops around the age of 17 or so…(btw…im 33 now….SO there has been quite a bit of guitar playing from where part 1 ended)

My reason for doing that was two fold…..

You see, kind of like Life- playing guitar is a Journey…NOT a destination. And in both there are challenges and breakthroughs.

1.) I wanted to get people talking & thinking about what hurdles they had encountered along the way by telling you about some past ones of my own.

And

2.) I hoped to get people sharing a bit about how & where their personal break throughs came about.

Music is all about about sharing and I’d be really interested in hearing your guys experiences.

For me, one big aha moment was when I found people BETTER than me to interact and make music with. Like all of us, I’m still learning—that NEVER stops—but my playing has progressed loads since my previous story ended. I write songs constantly, played in a couple bands and been both vigorously booed & raucously cheered off stage on more than one occasion. SO I do actually MAKE MUCUS. (I mean not professionally or anything, I never got serious serious about it—totally different thread)

But really I just wanted to start some discussion & share just a little bit of my journey with you all….because ….as far as im concerned…Music is all about sharing.

I’ll be sharing more…….but like all good stories these things need to unfold!

Look forward to being part of the group.!

Part III

While all of us here found—at various speeds— ways to overcome our challenges ….im pretty sure that there are loads of folks out there whose guitar stories sort of start and finish where mine did at 17.

It got me thinking---what a shame it would be if the next Hendrix or Van Halen gave up…just when he or she were on the cusp of greatness. What if one of those people could have started the next Beatles and brought us songs that changed a generation?

Pity.

BUT…What if there had been something which could have propelled the eager but under experienced amongst us barreling though some of the common barriers almost every budding guitarist faces? AND What if there was something which promoted the continued growth of all of us (well of course there is---for example this forum----and folks like you---)

All this lead me to a bit of a crazy idea which I am flushing out and will be honoured to seek your thoughts on in the coming weeks / months.

Posted : 22/03/2014 5:35 am
(@dtbrady)
Topic starter

So I can finally share the secret!!!

As you know from my previous posts— this is all about just one thing....helping people like us:

Shatter your guitar playing limits & instantly start creating the music inside you with only your basic guitar skills.

You can find out exactly how you can immediately begin to truly create with your guitar & jam with friends regardless of your skill level by visiting us at

http://www.jam-spring.com

All you really need to get going with JamSpring are a few basic chords & some music in your soul!

“Who on earth do you think you are…. a Superstar?…..WELL RIGHT YOU ARE!!”

Fact: John Lennon was a rubbish musician. Unlike Paul McCartney, he was devoid of almost any formal musical tuition & when he began playing the guitar, his understanding of what he was actually doing was so low that he didn't even know his instrument had two strings missing until George Harrison pointed it out to him.

I think we all know how that turned out….so…what’s holding YOU back….

Maybe you are only looking to write some songs from the comfort of your bedroom, or perhaps Total World Domination is more your thing (like Bill & Ted).

If you are tired of sitting on the sidelines while your friends who are “good” at guitar have all the fun & jam away your wait is over.

It is your time to shine now!!!

So if you are serious about finally tearing down the barriers keeping you from playing guitar & creating music to your fullest potential

…visit us at http://www.jam-spring.com to find out more about our insanely awesome app.

You can also follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JamSpringNetwork

(if you HURRY you can be one of the very first to sign-on to the revolution and receive an exclusive, limited pre-order price.)

¬¬¬

Posted : 11/04/2014 7:19 am