N2K Online Community and Guitar Resources

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@neutron2k)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi Guys

I'm new here and look forward to meeting you all. First thing i thought i would do is let you all know that I am, a web developer and recently have setup my own personal web site that includes forusm and resources for Guitarists, Web Deverlopers and Computer Support.

I am trying to build up a great community and would appreciate any feedback on my site and my tutorials! Its only been up 2-3 weeks and there is still a lot more planned for it all!

Any comments and suggestions welcome!

Urls in Sig.

Posted : 13/12/2005 3:02 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I had a quick look at your guitar test. It was most confusing, because you have the low E at the bottom of your diagram and ask for the note on the string below the one that you choose. Unfortunately, you have reversed the generally accepted "direction" of guitar strings. It is normal to refer to the tonal direction rather than the physical direction. In your test, the string "below" the low E is the A string. Convention has it that the string "below" the A string is the low E (there isn't any string "below" the low E, except on a 7 string) - think "low E" and "high E".

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 13/12/2005 3:20 pm
(@Anonymous)

Welcome to GN!

Nice site Justin...I like the backing tracks!

Posted : 13/12/2005 3:23 pm
(@neutron2k)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I had a quick look at your guitar test. It was most confusing, because you have the low E at the bottom of your diagram and ask for the note on the string below the one that you choose. Unfortunately, you have reversed the generally accepted "direction" of guitar strings. It is normal to refer to the tonal direction rather than the physical direction. In your test, the string "below" the low E is the A string. Convention has it that the string "below" the A string is the low E (there isn't any string "below" the low E, except on a 7 string) - think "low E" and "high E".

ehy dude

i assume you are reffering to the adjacent notes test?

I did say on that page that the theory is a little bit buggy but it generally works. I personally count lowest e string as the top physical string when your looking down. High E is the bottome (brightest sound, 0.009 gauge string).

All diagrams I have ever worked from have the bass E String at the bottom of the diagram so I don't know where your getting your 'generally' accepted method of doing things from. Or maybe I am just mis understanding what you are getting at.

apologies either way.

Posted : 13/12/2005 3:44 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I personally count lowest e string as the top physical string when your looking down. High E is the bottome (brightest sound, 0.009 gauge string).
The diagramme is fine - that's the way everybody does it. Your teminology is backward. The "low E" is tonally (i.e. pitch or frequency) the lowest string, i.e. the fattest string, not the the physically lowest (i.e. the thinnest string, which is tonally the "high E"). Conventionally, when you look for a "lower" string, you are talking about one which is lower in pitch, not one which is lower to the ground.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 13/12/2005 5:58 pm
(@neutron2k)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

ah crap i found where your on about. your talking about where i said 'directly on the string below' arn't you.

yeah i meant physically there. I shall correct it.

Posted : 13/12/2005 8:13 pm
(@terminator)
Reputable Member

Whoa, nice site, man!!! I've been looking around for such backing tracks for a year now, and i found them on your site! Thank you SOOO much!!!

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

Posted : 30/12/2005 7:47 am
(@neutron2k)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

no problem leonardo :)

midi backing tracks are handy as hell. I didn't make those though. Glad someone found the site useful :)

i have some more tracks to go up there at some point so stay tuned :D

Posted : 30/12/2005 9:37 am
(@terminator)
Reputable Member

Can't wait!!!

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

Posted : 30/12/2005 11:24 am