Notifications
Clear all

New to making tutorials, need criticism

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@blank731)
Topic starter

Hey guys, I just started making videos for youtube. Some of the stuff I'm making is video tutorials for guitar. I'm looking for some feedback on how I can make better videos. Please give me some constructive criticism.

TY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0p4FXsPjZU

Posted : 16/04/2012 9:12 pm
(@davidhodge)

Hi Ty

It's not all that bad but you probably want to make certain you're consistent with your terminology. For instance you start out saying there's "four major kind of chords" when I think you mean to say "four main types of chords." Since "major" is the name of one of the chord types, saying there's "four major types of chords" can be confusing to a beginner.

When you're describing the chords, you might take more time to explain where the "structure" comes from. Pointing out that the major barre chord comes from the basic open position E chord will help people understand why you can figure out why, for example, the first chord is A major. A fuller explanation may help guide your viewers a bit better. Explaining how each of the chord structures (whether major, minor, seventh or minor seventh) comes from basic open position chords they already know will also help you when you change string position.

The most important problem with the video is that what you're calling a "major 7" is not a major 7 but rather a "dominant 7" or just a simple 7 chord. That's really important because calling it a "major 7" will unintentionally teach your viewers the wrong chord. In the title of the video you have it right - "major, minor and 7" - but you consistently call the chord a "major 7" and it's not. A7, which you play in the first demonstration is A, C#, E and G and those are the notes you're fretting. But Amaj7 is A, C#, E and G# and you'd have to fret the chord differently (576655) to play it.

The bit about showing how to figure out the chords is good and should be very helpful.

And it just may be me but I think you didn't need to have the intro be as long as it was. Getting right into the lesson and then playing around a bit at the end seems to be more what people like (based on what people tell me anyway! - which is not necessarily what may be true!)

Hope this helps. Looking forward to more.

Peace

Posted : 16/04/2012 9:48 pm