Clear all

Software To Autodetect Chords

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jcjxxl)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Haven't tried it yet. Just read this post on a forum I frequent. Could be interesting!
A spanish university has just released a software which can detect the chords in a song from a mp3, ogg or wav file. With this software you will know how to play that song you always wanted to play.

http://www.musicgadgets.net/2006/05/09/clam-music-annotator-chord-analyzer/

Posted : 11/05/2006 3:37 pm
(@jcjxxl)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

21 views and no replies? Has anyone had any success with this?

Posted : 27/05/2006 3:45 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I've downloaded it, but not got around to trying it out, yet.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 27/05/2006 7:21 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

My $0.02 - I wasn't expecting it to produce a nice easy fake sheet that was 100% accurate at the click of a button, but...

I played with it a little over the weekend, and it's pretty awful software to use (same as most open source "we're still working on it" kind of software). There's practically no documentation, the screen shots don't match what you actually get (unless I've missed a deviously hidden option somewhere) and if you didn't write it, I doubt anyone will understand what the hell it's talking about anywhere.

Having said that, it does (with some considerable effort) do almost what it says it does. I managed to get a big long list of chords for a song I can't figure out, and picking only the ones it lists exactly where the chord changes and ignoring the rest gave me the chords I was after. The rest were almost funny. I'm guessing that if it's not just chords it gets confused by the extra notes, but even then some of the things it was suggesting didn't have any common notes. The part I was testing was only chords and a single melody, so not too bad clutter-wise. A lot of hard and frustrating work, but if you can't figure it out yourself it might be worth a shot depending how badly you need to know and how few people you know who are good at transcribing.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 31/05/2006 12:35 pm