Notifications
Clear all

150 watts too much? Advice on amp please

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@smurf77)
Topic starter  

I have been considering changing my amp (Marshall AVT275) and asked for some recommendations and people have been telling me I don't need anything so powerful for gigging medium size venues and suggest a 50w Vox is ample.
every other guitar player I see at these venues have mile high stack systems and there's me with my little combo of 150w.
I am aware that a stack doesn't make you a good guitarist and these musos have overblown egos so am not looking to compete with them in that department.
I play in a 5 piece covers band, (predominantly Rock & Indie with a bit of funk), and want an amp that will give a quality sound on all 3 channels and is sufficient in wattage so that is not pushed to the limits. I only have room in my car for a combo or stack consisting of head with 2 x12 cab. I also use a GT6 fx pedal so need something with an fx loop.
My local shops stock: Laney, Fender, Marshall, Line 6. Vox, Mesa Boogie but I am willing to shop online for other makes.
Any advice would be helpful

(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

I have been considering changing my amp (Marshall AVT275) and asked for some recommendations and people have been telling me I don't need anything so powerful for gigging medium size venues and suggest a 50w Vox is ample.
every other guitar player I see at these venues have mile high stack systems and there's me with my little combo of 150w.
I am aware that a stack doesn't make you a good guitarist and these musos have overblown egos so am not looking to compete with them in that department.
I play in a 5 piece covers band, (predominantly Rock & Indie with a bit of funk), and want an amp that will give a quality sound on all 3 channels and is sufficient in wattage so that is not pushed to the limits. I only have room in my car for a combo or stack consisting of head with 2 x12 cab. I also use a GT6 fx pedal so need something with an fx loop.
My local shops stock: Laney, Fender, Marshall, Line 6. Vox, Mesa Boogie but I am willing to shop online for other makes.
Any advice would be helpful

I would agree with the general consensus that for medium-sized venues, 150 watts is overkill and makes achieving a comfortable onstage mix difficult, as well as making achieving a decent mix out in the venue nearly impossible.

Keep in mind that a tube amp is much louder per watt of rating than a solid state amp. From your limited description of the type of sound/tone ranges you need to cover, and if your budget allows, a Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 would fill your needs. The 2266 doesn't achieve Panterra-type dropped-tune scooped-mids metal type grind, but it has great tone and it's capable of a very nice clean tone to '70's classic rock/'80's hair-band tones.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-Vintage-Modern-2266-Tube-Amp-Head?sku=480776

Adding an OD pedal in front of it along with its' own footswitch should give you enough flexibility to cover most anything short of the above-mentioned ultra-metal scooped-mids tones. It's rated at 50 watts, but trust me, 50 tube watts even through just a 2-12 cab is enough to have most any venue owner ready to fire the band if you get too happy with the volume control! I play in a high-energy blues band, and I use a 20 watt tube amp through a 2-12 cab and have plenty of power to spare. We mic everything and run it through the PA so that the PA does most of the heavy-lifting. This allows for a controllable mix and overall level, a better onstage mix, and results in an overall more professional sound with a competent sound man.

Cheers!

Strat

ReplyQuote
(@smurf77)
Topic starter  

Thanks, but I use a GT6 fx pedal and don't intend using separates again. so, really need 3 channel amplification.

ReplyQuote
(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

Thanks, but I use a GT6 fx pedal and don't intend using separates again. so, really need 3 channel amplification.

Well, it sounds like you already know what you want. Just take your pick of the 3 channel amps. Relatively speaking, there's not that many compared to one or two channel types. You had mentioned a 50 watt Vox, and all the 50 watt Vox'es are 2 channel amps, so I thought you might consider something other than a 3 channel amp. Sorry to waste your time, good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Why aren't you using the GT6 amp models and just keeping your amp on clean?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@smurf77)
Topic starter  

Hey man, you didn't waste my time. It's good to hear all opinions and advice. It's just that I'm used to have the ease of 3 channels and a footswitch to change quickly.
Re: GT6 for amp models....I use some but not all replicate a true amp sound. I use it mainly for different effects and to replace keyboards. I am what you could call the rhythm guitarist who does some lead & fills in for keyboard parts and effects!
To be honest, the amp I liked the most for 3 channel sounds was the first one I owned; a 65w solid state Crate combo. Sadly, not sufficient for gigging at venues we play and now Crate are made in China and are totally substandard to the American stuff.

ReplyQuote