Clear all

2x12 cab dilemma, for Tiny Terror

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@randyesquire)
Topic starter  

Hi there everyone,

im about to get a Tiny Terror for small venues and to ease transportation (im done carrying my TSL100 everywhere, weighs a TON and is complete overkill for most small venues)
most venues have their own 4x12 cabs, and my rehearsal rooms do too, but i would still like to get a 2x12 which is decent enough to make me self sufficient in the event that there's no cab at the venue.

im torn between three choices, purely because they're in the £200 bracket, and it seems silly to spend too much money on something that probably wont get used that often in reality.
here's the links

http://www.thomann.de/gb/blackstar_ht_212_cabinet.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_gs212ie.htm

the blackstar was the first £200 2x12 i saw, so it made the list, but im slowly edging away from it, unless anyone can tell me they've heard one and its GREAT, im probably going to end up with one of the others (although i quite like the carry handle on top, im used to carrying an old marshall 2x12 by the side handles, no problem)
(for the record, i do have a marshall 2x12, but its an old Valvestate extension cab so its only 4ohms mono and the tiny terror outputs in 8 or 16ohms only, so cant use them together, right?)

so far, from what i can see, im drawn to the Harley Benton for its Vintage Celestians (only through what ive read about them), although i do quite like its styling as well.

ive heard that the seventy 80s in the Laney arent the best speakers to go for (i do LOVE black sabbath, and although i know tony iommi backs Laney in general, im sure he uses some higher end gear than this little thing!!)

one thing i dont have any knowledge about is the difference between ohm ratings, because from what i can see the blackstar and harley benton are driven at 8ohms (mono) whereas the Laney is driven at 16ohms (mono)
(the tiny terror outputs in EITHER 16 ohms mono, or 8 ohms mono/stereo)
would it benefit the sound/preserve the amp more to run it at 16ohms rather than the 8ohms or is the difference negligible?

harley benton do an even lower end one at around £100 (off this website) which seems like a steal for a 2x12, and since it wont get used much, but do you think the speakers will just be substandard?
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212.htm

couldnt find anything much about these particular cabs on here, but i gather they're quite new to market so that might be why?

for reference, i play entirely originals, so im not really trying to emulate a certain sound, and i dont have a wide range of styles or sounds to acheive, we're pretty much straight ahead rock/heavy rock music, been compared to early rainbow, deep purple and black sabbath, which are all bands whose sound i LOVE (but i didnt CONSCIOUSLY aim to replicate them)

effects wise i'll only have a holy grail reverb (because i like things a bit more 'spacious'), and a distortion pedal for when i need a bit more sustain in the solos (its a zakk wylde pedal, but im not going for his sound, its just something i got for free years ago, never used it as the gain in the TSL100 is MORE than enough for me) might need it to give the tiny terror a little kick though, i'll see how i get on with it....

i used to think we were STONER ROCK (like Clutch, Orange Goblin, Spiritual Beggars etc) but i guess we've moved on without my realising it!

anyways, if anyone out there has ANY experience with any of these cabs, or with the difference between the speakers used in them, let me know which one you favour and why, would love to have a chat about all this with someone!

thanks in advance to anyone who can help

All the best

Andrew

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Go on, splurge on the Orange 212. You know you want to. :twisted:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

If you're worried about size/weight, consider a 2x10. In a proper cabinet, you won't notice much difference.

ReplyQuote
(@randyesquire)
Topic starter  

appreciate the suggestion mate, do you know anyone who does a good 2x10 around the £200 mark?

with regards to the orange 2x12, its really going to be a waste of money i simply dont have right now, especially if i dont end up using it that often, but i'll keep it in mind when i start getting paid a bit better!

thanks for your thoughts guys

ReplyQuote