Clear all

A couple of thoughts about distortion

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I bought a Tubescreamer pedal yesterday, and I like it but I also use the heavy distortion that is on my amp, I think the amp distortion is a little weak and a bit unbalanced but whatever. Anyways, I noticed that I like the tone when I play the tubescreamer with everything turned up all the way, sounds like AC DC and heavier blues rock stuff like that. But I was thinking that I also want a more full and loud distortion sound to go along with it, more heavy metal sound. I noticed that when I take all the distortion or gain out of the tubescreamer and just turn the level (volume) up, and then use the distortion from my amp I get that nice full, loud distortion that i'm looking for. Now, if my theory is right, wouldn't a compression pedal, since it will compress the volume of the guitar without taking anything out of the signal, help to create a more smooth and balanced distortion sound? Maybe I could get a similar effect with an E.Q or by changing the levels on my amp. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Steve-0

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

A compression pedal takes the peaks and valleys out of volume. They do increase sustain. So this might be what you are looking for.

I have found that an EQ pedal helps you to get that tight distortion I think you are talking about. It allows subtle tone adjustments you can never get with your amp's tone stack. I don't think you can possibly go wrong with an EQ. It will always help you find your "tone".

As for what you are doing with your Tubescreamer, you are basically using it as a boost pedal. This is driving the pre-amp over the top to get the heavier distortion you want. An EQ can also do this by turning the volume up.

There are lots of Heavy Metal pedals. You might look into that and just use your amp's clean channel. This is how most people get Metal distortion.

Maybe Joe (Forrok Star) will give you some advice. He is the expert on this stuff.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I use both Eq's and compressors. A Compressor works well for controlling the dynamics. Which will make the loudest parts quieter, and the quietest parts louder—in effect, narrowing the dynamic range you get a more consistent level. A good compressor can smooth out unwanted discontinuities in your playing, fatten up your tone, which will dramatically enhance your sustain, and even become an invaluable part of your sound.

Equalizers are used to fine tune your tone. I use them between all the different stages of my signal chain. I generally cut frequency's rather than boost with them. If you can swing getting both would be the way to go. Either of them or both will help improve your tone.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

There are many fine eq's. If you are on a budget, try the Danelectro Fish 'n' chips. As far as a compressor goes, I don't have an opinion on one. I have a couple of amps that have them built in, so some of my sound comes with compression and some does not. I like the difference and thus fatness that comes from using the variety of sound. experimentation is key. Have fun.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote