Clear all

A head for 2 cabs

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Okay, I know these questions keep coming up and some by me.  You know I just hate to spend money and then have stuff frizzle or fry.  Here's the question -
If I buy a Hartke VX 115 Bass Speaker Cab rated at 300Watts @8 ohms and a Hartke 410 TP Transporter Series rated At 300Watts @8 ohms, what would you folks recomend for a Head?  600watts @16ohms?  Those numbers seem wrong by looking at other stuuf on the market.  Maybe 400 or 450 @16 ohms?  I hope I'm getting the ohm part right.  16 ohm head into 2x8ohm cabs, is that correct?  So, I appreciate the help you folks can give!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

97Reb

When you run two 8 Ohms speakers (or cabinets rated 8 Ohms) in PARALLEL you get a 4 Ohms load.

Here's a Hartke bass amplifier.

http://www.music123.com/Hartke-3500-Bass--Head-i58237.music

This particular amp delivers 350 Watts into a 4 Ohm load, it will deliver only 240 Watts into an 8 Ohm load.
Why the difference? Ohms is a measurement of resistance. The higher the Ohms, the higher the resistance to current flow. It's kinda like driving with your foot on the brake.

So if you hooked this particular amp up to the 1 X 15 only, that speaker will get 240 Watts.

If you hooked only the 4 X 10 cabinet up, it will get 240 Watts. BUT the 4 speakers will share the Watts evenly, each getting only 60 Watts.

If you hook up both cabinets at once to this amp, now you will have a 4 Ohm load and the amp will put out 300 Watts.  It should send 175 Watts to the 1 X 15, and 175 Watts to the 4 X 10 (each speaker getting a little over 45 W).

That actually would work well. But your speakers can handle twice as much.

A amp that provides 600 Watts at 4 Ohms seems right.

Hope that helped.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yes, Thanks!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

600 watts seems like a bit much, though.  I don't see many bass heads over 400 watts.  Gallien-Krueger has a Backline 350 Fullstack for $800.  Hartke has a combo for $700 that is 350 watts with 4 x 10" speakers, or Ashdown has the MAG C410 300 watts 4 x 10" for $600.  If I had a ton of money, I would get the most expensive and best rated Full stack, but I don't have a lot of money and am not immediately going to be playing in front of huge live audiences.  I am trying to get a feel for a good rig that may be expandable into the future.  So, any other responses would be appreciated.

ReplyQuote