Clear all

about using delay

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@uninvited)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hi all...i attach importance to using delay lately..i have a Line6 DL4 now...but the problem is about using the delay along the "whole" song..of course it requires different delay times while playing arpeggios and then begin playing the chords and rythm.but i can't find the right delay times for rythm and so the sound gets so unintelligible...so i use delay while arpeggio and turn it off while playing the rythm..this time when i close the delay the overdrive rythm sound becomes so dry!!..i also tried to set an adequate reverb to my sound to get rid of the dryness when turning off the delay..but my rp200's reverb is not in quality as DL4..so it does not compensate it...do u think if i have an in quality reverb unit can i solve that..or is there any other solution?..thanks

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

If your rp200 has delay, you could set that with a shorter delay, like a slap-back echo, almost like a reverb, and use that for the rhythm parts.

ReplyQuote
(@uninvited)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thx demoetc..i ll work on it

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

This is part of the reason I use so many speakers. I use 2x12's to monitor what I'm playing. It has the dry signal, which I use to stay in time. The other speakers have the wet signal which is what everyone else hear's. Anyway this is the formula I use to figure delays out.

There is a way to use delay to synchronize echoes to your music. What I do is have the echoes play in time with each quarter note, eighth note, sixteenth note, and so on. Start by figuring the Delay Time needed to synchronize the echoes to each quarter note. To do this, just divide 60,000 (the number of milliseconds in one minute) by the current Tempo (measured in beats per minute) of your song. Which for a Tempo of 120 bpm, you get 500 milliseconds. If you set the delay time to 500, the resulting echoes will sound with a quarter note pulse.

To figure out the Delay Time for other note values, you need to divide or multiply. Because an eighth note is half the value of a quarter note, you simply divide 500 by two to get 250 milliseconds. A sixteenth note is half the value of an eighth note, so 250 divided by 2 is 125. See how that works? If you want to find out larger note values, just multiply by two. Because a half note is twice as long as a quarter note, you multiply 500 by 2 to get 1000 milliseconds.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Joe

That was some very useful information. I am not big on delay, but I will remember that method. It also occurs to me that your delay can actually be used as sort of a metronome to keep you in time while you play. If you get ahead of the delay you are playing too fast, behind the delay too slow.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@uninvited)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

wow..that was really useful joe!! :D ..thank you

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

If you noticed a few of my posts where I've talked about using so many amps and speaker combinations. as I said before when your using a delay of 756ms or multiple delays through out the signal chain its hard to stay in time. And thats why part of my setup is used just for myself to monitor my playing, what everyone else hears is the delayed/wet signal. After spending many many moons of playing that way.

The delayed sound with just the right amount of modulation creates an illusion of playing faster than I really am and just plain ole gets down and rocks.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Joe..as usual, you impress me.
what good information. :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Your welcome.

Something to try if you have two amps is to have one amp with just the dry signal (to monitor your timing) and one amp to have the wet or delayed signal. Have the dry amp at a volume a little lower than the wet amp. The sound coming from the wet amp will really come to life once you get control of it.

Joe

ReplyQuote