Amp help

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Iggy
(@iggy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I just got a Line 6 Spider III the other day, and after my first lesson where I know how to play a little, I'm not sure I'm happy with it. When on anything but the lightest distortion chords and notes one after the other just don't sound right. If I'm playin all on the same string like Smoke On the Water its fine, but anything more complex and it's just weird. I think I might exchange it (30 day return at Guitar Center) for something else. I mostly like metal/hard rock (Mushroomhead is my favorite, but I also like Metallica, Fuel, Chevelle, Mudvayne, Oxxy/Black Sabbath, etc.) and some classic rock and blues thrown in. What would be a good amp for me that costs $400 or below? I will probably end up getting a pedalboard set up for Christmas. One I looked at was the Peavy Valveking 112, but they don't have it at my Guitar Center. Could you guys please recommend amps, and if possible post a link to a song played on it (preferably hard rock/metal). Thanks.

Brad

(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

If you ask, Guitar Center will custom order anything on musicians friend for you.

The problem may be that your strings are out of tune. If you have a tuner, try retuning first.

Second, turn down the destortion if you can. Some chords, expecially open chords, don't sound good with outrageous distortion.

Third off, whats your guitar. Pickups will have a lot to do with how chords sound distorted.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Take it back take it back take it back.....hehehehe.

My opinion only. the Spiders are good for one thing and one thing only... CRAZY DISTORTION!!

I'd look at one of the Valve State Marshalls or Peavy Trans-tubes.. (cuz they're in your price range.... I think), comparable to what you paid for that Spider.

again, just my .02 cents. :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
 Iggy
(@iggy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I know my guitar (It's a Schecter Omen 6) si in tune because my instructer tuned it and I later checked it with my amps tuner. In order for me to get the distortion low enough to be able to hear the notes its not the sound that I like (liek the bands I mentioned). I also just can't get the right sound out of it. Most of the distorted presets sound very similar or just have a different effect on it. Is there a tutorial or anything on finding the right settings and stuff?

What about different amps, waht would fit my needs? By the way, I'm sorta in a band (once I learn more I'm start giging with them, but nothin big since we're only 15), so it needs to be able to get loud enough. That's cool that Guitar Center can order anything that Musicians Friend has becausee I just got their catalog. Thanks.

Brad

ReplyQuote
 Iggy
(@iggy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Dagwood, you must have posted while I was typing. I'll go check out those amps, but any other recommendations. Thanks again.

EDIT: I just found a site where it has streams of different amps being played. I see that the Peavy amps that are played sound very good. Would the 112 sound similar to this? Also, if I put an effects board in front of it could I get it to sound like Mushroomhead, Metallica, Slipknot, etc? Thanks.
http://ugclips.dmusic.com/music/

Brad

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

IMO, if you want to get a pedal board, put it in front of a TUBE amp. All pedals sound better thru a tube amp.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Those guys use really heavy distorotion. One of my favorite metal bands "God Forbid" uses krank amps. The amps cost a rediculous amount of money, but they have a pedal out now for around 100 bucks that relpicates their distortion.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote