Notifications
Clear all

Amp problem

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@bspeltback)
Topic starter  

I have a Crate Gx-120 and the problem I'm having is that when I try and turn it on I get a buzzing noise and the fuse blows, I've gone to the local music store and got teh same fuse and it still did the same thing...I also went to Radioshack and picked up a few fuses and they blew as well...I need to get this amp fixed within a few days because my band has a show this friday, if anyone can help me out it would be great..

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

This is a solid state amp right. There are a few things that can cause this behavior.

Sounds like something is shorting out. AC shorts to a grounded chassis, power supply filter capacitors, power section oscillating too high a frequency to hear, power transformer is faulty, output transformer is faulty. These are something I would start with. Unless you feel comfortable and have the right tools for working on it. I would take it to a shop and have them do the work.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Unless you feel comfortable and have the right tools for working on it. I would take it to a shop and have them do the work.Joe's right. There are way too many volts lurking in the back of an amp for most of us to even think of poking around in there.
Let a qualified tech look at it, and get it fixed permanently (we hope) and in time for your gig (we hope).
It'll just keep eating fuses unless somebody makes it behave. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@unklmickey)

start looking for an amp to borrow for your friday gig!

the most likely culprit is your output transistors (most solid-state amps don't have output transformers). but they are not necessarily the problem (or the only problem).

it's possible, but not likely, you'll find a tech that can turn this around in a few days. even if you could, it wouldn't be a great idea to gig with a repaired amp, without using it for at least a week.

unk

ReplyQuote