Clear all

amp question

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

do you guys use and various effects while your amp is in overedrive or i mean distortion also would you use OD with a distortion effect goin on?

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Sure, you can use an overdrive or distortion pedal with your amp's distortion channel. Usually sounds pretty terrible, but you can carefully tweak it to sound good.

What I personally do is either turn down the gain on the pedal or the distortion channel on the amp. So if I am playing the distortion channel of my amp to play a Metal rhythm guitar sound, I will step on my overdrive or distortion pedal for a boost in volume and sustain. But in this case I have the gain way down on the pedal. It is almost clean sounding. But it will boost you way up for the solo and not sound like complete mush.

Or just the opposite. I will use the distortion pedal for heavy rhythm sounds, then switch to the distortion channel of the amp for a boost. But I will turn the gain way down on the distortion channel.

But heh, you can do anything you like. If you want to turn both your pedal and amp distortion to max, go for it. You will sound like the Smashing Pumpkins! :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

i use the both at the same time, all the time..... i have my lead channel on my hot rod set to a slight boost and a little bite not much though i use this when i play a regular country lead or playing a rythm but with some crunch behind it...... then for that power ballad, rock in ur facemelting lead i turn the gain on my blues driver all the way up and the volume to 2 and it screams..........got to be careful though you can over do it.... i have a volume pedal so i can control it as i like..... i also use my super chorus with distortion i discovered it on accident one day when i forgot to kill my lead channel on the amp........ gives a really cool effect....:)

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

It's always great to have options!

I have these Epi 5W heads and until I get the attenuators, I have to have them set on clean. I use an A/B switch into the Boss ME50(A) and (B) into a Vox AD30VT. Plus, I have the Arion Tubulator (until I get something better) before the ME50. I can have all three amps clean. I can have the 2 Epi heads clean and the Vox on the non-clean channel. I can have the ME50 on distortion thru the Epi's and the Vox Clean or dirty. I can have the Vox dirty, the ME50 into the two Epi's and the Tubulator on to give the Epi's an even "noiser" solo boost.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

All depends on the sound I want to create. I wish I was better at explaining but here goes. I start out with a 100 watt tube amp driving it into a dummyload, not so much for the distortion but for harnessing the power. Then having equalizers between everything for control while combining other tube preamps to create distortion and moving onto the final stages of overdriven power tubes pushing the speakers. With different presets at hand I can change from transparent clean to over the edge distortion just by stepping on the midi switcher.

The answer would be Yes.

Joe

ReplyQuote