Amp question-Orange Crush 15R

23 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@sticky)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,
Since I'm about to take delivery on my first electric guitar(the GN '51 wave of 2006) I'll be needing an amp. I'm a total newb and need an opinion on an Orange Crush 15R(reverb). I know that they're known for their tube amps and this is solid state but how is it? I'm not going to have much to go on as far as experience is concerned since I have none, I figure for about $100.00 it's a fairly good buy but are there other amps that are a better bang for the buck?

Thanks in advance, I really like this forum; loads of info from experienced people.

Nick

*wouldn't this be a pretty good starter set up? Squire '51 w/a 15R Crush

How do you know if a drummer is knocking on your door.....

The knocking speeds up.

(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I would get the Epiphone Valve Junior instead. All tube, and just as loud.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

Duffmaster makes a good point. I would just suggest to go to the store and play a little through each one and let your ears decide. If your looking for a certain type of sound, then you can't go wrong with letting your ears.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I would get the Epiphone Valve Junior instead. All tube, and just as loud.

I 2nd the Epi Valve JR. 8)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Valve-Junior-Combo-Amp?sku=480260

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I own a Epi VJ as well and and recommend it too. As for the Squier, great choice, excellent guitars. I am not too fond of the SS oranges but that's just me. Orange did put out a new 'budget' tube amp, the Tiny Terror. Sounds *very* nice but does run around 400,- which might be a tad too much.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Another very solid $100 amp is the 15W Roland Cube. Great sound - VERY loud - and has 4 different distortion levels.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@sticky)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the input! Loud isn't that important to me(for now), just quality and versatility.

Keep 'em coming!

Nick

The knocking speeds up.

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

+1 for the Epiphone valve Junior
Just got my Epiphone Valve Junior Head after a 4 & 1/2 month wait(an EVJ combo is available through most on line retailers for about the same price as you would pay for a transistor type practice amp..look up Musicians friend etc. ). It was worth it.I really like this amp. Nice warm tone and crunch when you want it, however I must admit that I like to play through my reverb pedal. Try one you'll like it. I prefer it to the tone I get out of my Fender 900 Deluxe as a matter of fact I presently have it hooked to the 12" Celestion speaker in that amp. Quality is there for the price but you do give up some versatility in that it only has an On-Off switch & volume control,no tone etc. and must use either an EQ pedal or your guitar tone knobs to tweak it.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member

Vox AD15VT? I have a 30 and its excellent

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

A lot of people recommended the VOXAD30VT to me, so I listened to one next to a Roland Cube 30 and ended up buying the Roland Cube. Not much in it in my opinion and the Roand was slightly cheaper.

I am very inexperienced mind, just thought I'd mention it as you might want to try it out too if you get a chance to back-to-back them all. f you do, put your feedback in here to help the next bod.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

If you need to play at really quiet, then the Epi won't work well unless you buy or build yourself an attenuator. A modeling amp (like the Roland Cube series, or the VOX ADxxVT series) are better at producing different tones at low volumes. You can also use them with headphones.

You can build an attenuator with only about $20 in parts if you are handy with a soldering iron..

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

You can build an attenuator with only about $20 in parts if you are handy with a soldering iron..

And if I can do it, anyone can! :wink:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@sticky)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hmm, my problem is I'm a beginner so I won't get much out of trying them out. The only thing off-putting on the Epi is the lack of controls, I mean come-on, it's got a volume knob and that's it! :) The Vox AD15VT is piquing my curiosity now, too bad it's nearly twice the price that I was thinking....though I am getting a guitar for so cheap........and I did save my wife and I a ton last night declogging the bathtub...can you imagine the cost a plumber would have been *gasp.......

I may be a guitar newb but I'm a professional rationalization spender!

so, now pros and cons between the Epi valve jr and the Vox?

Link for attenuator mod?

you guys are awesome, thanks!

The knocking speeds up.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

I havent played the Orange solid state amps but i hear they are amazzing and the company is great. Best amp I've ever owned is an Orange.

Good luck with the decision making process.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

If you get the Epi, get the combo. With the head you will also need a speaker cab.

Epiphone Valve Jr Combo

This is a very good amp with excellent tone. And great tone is probably the most important thing to look for in an amp. But without pedals you will have two basic sounds, clean and overdriven. You don't even get reverb. The overdrive is fantastic for blues type tones if that is what you are into. But you gotta play it real loud to get the overdrive tone. So if you are a straight bluesman, go for the Epi.

The Vox is far more versatile. It models many famous amps and has some effects too. Being solid state you do not have to crank it at all to get overdriven tones, you can get distortion at super quiet volumes that won't bother the family or neighbors.

If you are into many types of music and volume is a concern, go with the Vox. It is an excellent amp.

If money is a consideration, check out this Behringer.

Behringer V-Tone GM108

This amp has all the features of the Vox for much less. It gets very good reviews. Behringer makes good gear for a great price, about the best bang for the buck out there.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2