Clear all

Getting that slight crunch/fuzz?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone. I have a Behringer GMX110, and so far I have been VERY pleased with it.It sounds great on the clean channel, and really awesome cranking the distortion up, and messing with some effects...the guitar really screams! :D There is just one thing I haven't been able to find, though, and that is that slight crunchy sound...i don't really know how to describe it. I guess its kind of like the intro to "up around the bend" by CCR, or maybe a little bit closer to the George Thoroughgood tone. I don't know...I bet you can kind of get an idea of what I am talking about.

Anyone know any way for me to get a tone similar to that? Sorry about the rambling...I find it tough to convey what I am looking for here! :shock: Thanks!

EDIT: Or maybe that great James Gang tone! Eh...you get the idea...ill stop throwing stuff out there!

(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I have the GMX212, and I think we have the same 3 switches for Amp, Mode, and Speaker. Tweed/Hot or Cali/Clean should give you what your looking for if your drive is turned up.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

All of the guitarists you describe use tube amps to get thier tone. I don't know how close your amp's modeler will get to that tone, but I'd suggest picking up an overdrive pedal to see if that helps. If not, Epiphone makes some very good, very inexpensive tube amps you may want to check out.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, those are classic tube amp tones, but you should be able to find them on your amp. Not familiar with your amp, but if you have settings called "blues" or "overdrive" experiment with those. Try turning your Mids up a little high (maybe 8-10) and Highs maybe 6-7 and Bass 4-5.

Try turning the Gain down some. You want mild breakup. This is where many go wrong. You really don't get great "crunch" with Gain turned up high. I have a Zoom pedal I use with my Hot Rod Deluxe, the gain setting go from 1-30, I turn them down to about 3-4, sounds great. Super high gain sounds like air leaking out of a flat tire, or tearing a piece of paper. :roll:

You picked some awesome tones there, they are all good. I have always thought that Joe Walsh's tone with the James Gang was one of the best guitar tones ever. 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys...thanks for the replys! I'll keep tweaking it with your suggestions. Will post back here if I come up with something really worth posting :) Thanks!

ReplyQuote