Amp with good headphone jack

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new amp and I'm hoping someone has some suggestions. I play metal mostly so I'm either playing very clean or through a high gain metal zone MT-2 pedal with some other effects. I play through Alnico humbuckers. My living situation dictates that I can't play through an amp loudly very often, so I'm looking for an amp with a good headphone jack. I've played some that just sounded horrible through headphones, even with good headphones. Any suggestion would be great. It doesn't need to be very big or loud, but I do not want to skimp on quality at all.

On a side note, any recommendations on good headphones to use with it would be greatly appreciated too.

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey Jeff,

I have a suggestion, but its 'Out of the Box' if you will :)

How about looking into an Amp Modeler?
A Beheringer V-Amp or one of those new lil Line6 Pods?
I'd stay away from the Digitech stuff only because I don't like their sound but to each his own.

I've owned a VAmp and loved it. I've also used the Pod and would get one if I didn't have my current rig.

V-AMP
POD

These little units are Awesome with headphones and you have loads of tone possibilities as well.

I'd look on line like Craigs list first for a used one if possible.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

+1 on what Dagwood said.

My Boss GT-6 also sounds good with head-phones. Probably can get a used one too.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

The Vox AD30VT has a headphone jack AND a built in attenuator.

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I was actually thinking of a V-Amp, but I have heard very mixed things about them. I've heard demos and they sound great, and I'm guessing the people who speak poorly of them are the same people who say vinyls sound better than CDs :roll:

These V-Amps, I understand they're also the correct impedance for plugging into a sound card? Can I also use my effects pedal chain or do I just scrap it?

Thanks a lot guys,

Jeff

ReplyQuote