Clear all

Amps used on Rockstar Supernova

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@prndl)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm wondering if anyone has noticed that the backup band has switched from Line 6 (last season) to Matchless and Bogner tube amps (this season).

I find the tone of the Matchless and Bogner is a lot more subtle, but lacks the heavy metal crunch of the Line 6.
It's a better sound, but more smooth.

Has anyone else notice this?

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I do not know this group, but you have described the difference between solid-state and tube amps well.

Solid state amps clip hard and suddenly. This can actually be very good for Metal type tones. They accentuate the highs and tend to sound harsh at high volumes. But again, many Metal and even Punk bands like this harsh tone.

Solid state amps will go into this harsh clipping immediately when picking a note, but drop off into a clean tone almost immediately. Many tube enthusiasts say this is a very un-natural sound. Picture someone jumping off a cliff.

Tubes amps have a more gradual and softer clipping. The highs roll off at volume producing a very warm and smooth tone. These types of amps are preferred by Blues players especially, but most pros go with tube amps. They have a huge, thick, and rubbery type tone when clipping. They are not harsh sounding at all which most people prefer. Tube amps do not clip immediately when picking a note, and the dropoff to clean is long and gradual. Picture someone sliding down a long slide.

Sorry for the silly analogies, but this is the only way I could describe how the clipping drops off between these different type of amps.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Wasn't the show last year to find a new singer for INXS? And this year is to find the singer for a band with Tommy Lee (Motley Crue drummer), Jason Newstead (ex Metallica and current Voi Vod bassist) and Gilby Clarke (ex Guns 'n' Roses and other L.A. rock/metal bands guitar player)?

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Wasn't the show last year to find a new singer for INXS? And this year is to find the singer for a band with Tommy Lee (Motley Crue drummer), Jason Newstead (ex Metallica and current Voi Vod bassist) and Gilby Clarke (ex Guns 'n' Roses and other L.A. rock/metal bands guitar player)?

Yep, thats exactly what it is. The group is called "Supernova" which I personally think is a very silly name... but to each his own.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote