Skip to content
Anybody know of a s...

Notifications
Clear all

Anybody know of a speaker that would work...

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

http://www.usspeaker.com/jensen%20C12K-1.htm

might work. 12" 4 ohm speakers are a little hard to find!

You might also check the weber site; their British series

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/1225a.htm

(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Just had a quick look around for the G12L - seems like most are 35 watts. There's 40w and some others, but the majority looks like 35w.

That might be your speaker failed (if it did). A 40 watt amp going through a 35 watt speaker. Not so bad at low volumes, but hit a chord hard and it could (and maybe did) cause trouble.

If you got a 100 watt rated speaker that'll most likely not happen again.

Unless you're trying to go for speaker distortion, which some guys do.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I am a big fan of the Celestion Vintage 30. This is a great speaker used by many pros. It has an exceptionally smooth tone, never harsh. It doesn't have huge bass but it has plenty. If has beautiful highs that are not harsh or piercing. It has lots of midrange, especially great for lead guitar.

The Celestion G12T-75 is the classic speaker Marshall has used in their cabs for many years. This speaker has huge bass and almost piercing highs (might have to dial highs down some). It has attenuated mids, this is the speaker responsible for the famous "scooped mids" tone.

For a 40 watt amp you really want a speaker with a handling power of 60 watts or more. The Vintage 30 is 60 watts, the G12T-75 is 75 watts. Either should work well.

The Marshall Greenback is a great speaker. I believe this is a a 30 watt speaker, haven't looked up the specs lately. The problem with this speaker is that it will start to distort when you crank the amp up. Maybe this is what you want, many players want a speaker to break up early, Blues players especially will do this.

A speaker rated 100 watts is the opposite. This speaker will probably handle everything you throw at it without distorting. Players who want a clean tone at high volume will choose a speaker with a high handling power for just that. You can still get distortion through your overdrive channel, but the speaker will not breakup from simply being pushed by the amp. Hope you understand what I'm saying.

Eminence makes great speakers too. Go to Eminence and Celestion and read about the different speakers. Sometimes you will find clips you can listen to.

But still, very hard to go wrong with the Vintage 30, one of the best speakers ever, not just my opinion, but held by many.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I looked up the Celestion G12L, and found it is also called the G12L-35. As far as I could find, this is an 8 ohm speaker. 4 ohm speakers are pretty rare, so this is very likely 8 ohms.

You should be able to get any 8 ohm speaker and use in your amp.

I think the 4 ohms on the back of your amp is telling you that it will operate at a minimum 4 ohms. This means you could add an additional 8 ohm speaker or cab in addition to the internal speaker for a total 4 ohm load. Does this amp have a "speaker out" on the rear? It is probably in parallel to the internal 8 ohm speaker.

I would not be afraid to try an 8 ohm speaker. I am almost sure this is what you have now. Look at the speaker again and see if it shows impedence (ohms) on there somewhere.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hey, check this out. :D

Celestion G12T 100w 4 ohm speaker

There you go.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Avatar carries this speaker in 4 ohms. I have bought from them several times, great service and price. Check there.

Click on Celestion at the top and look for the G12T-100. You may have to e-mail for a price.

ReplyQuote