Notifications
Clear all

Assistance required please.

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@ciaron)
Topic starter  

A question regarding amps and ohms here... i've played guitar for years but always relied on combo amps up to now and never had to worry about such things! I apologise in advance if this question has been asked and answered here before!

My rig consists of a Marshall JMP1 pre-amp and a Behringer Virtualizer Pro running through a SoundLab Go97 power amp, and i've just got hold of a Marshall 1936 2 x 12 cab.

The power amp has two speaker outputs and states on the back "Stereo. 90W 4 ohms. 60W 8 ohms", this is not switchable though. The cab has two inputs and states "Mono input 150W RMS 8 ohms" and "Stereo 75W/CH 16 ohms".

What i would like to know is... am i in any danger of damaging any part of the rig or the cab if i run the whole thing in stereo.

Many thanks in advance.

Ciaron

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I'll respond and to be honest I'm not sure I understand all this as well as the others. I know Wes Inman knows this stuff in his sleep so maybe he'll throw some of his knowledge out here.

As I see it, your cabinet is rated to accept a hotter signal than what your amp is putting out. So to me, there shouldn't be a power issue at all.

Now if your amp was pumping out more power than the cabinet(s) could handle, you could blow the cabinet.

But I think in this case you are safe.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@egdinger)
Eminent Member

Is your amp stereo? If not then there is no point in running your cab in stereo. Your amp (if it would even work) would put out a lot less power if you ran it at 16ohm.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Is there a bridge for the outputs?

ReplyQuote