Clear all

Atomic Reactor Amps

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@shibby)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone here have an Atomic Reactor amp. I'm really interested in buying one for my V-Amp but the website has very little info and there are no dealers in my area. So does anyone have experience with this amp?

(@english-one)
Estimable Member

No experience with them myself, but they look wildly overpriced to me. If you want one, wait for a few months and I'm sure that the prices will drop quite substatially.

It seems to be an interesting concpept, but I would like a bit more versatility myself; it would just be nice to have an amp that I can use as a normal amp, in case the v-amp goes wrong!

Peter

ReplyQuote
(@shibby)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have only heard good things about them from people who have modelers. They are supposed to de-digitize the modeler. I love my V-amp so I was thinking this makes perfect sense. Just wanted to see if anyone here has used one. I generally respect opinions here more than harmonycentral or other guitar forums.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Never tried one but I *don't* like the idea. Modelers try to emulate tubes themselves, so using a real tube poweramp seperate from the modeler would be pointless if the modeler was any good. Besides, I don't get the point: isn't it like adding sugar to a cola light to bring the taste back?

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Looks like you'll get the best of both worlds. The feel of tubes and the tone from the modeler.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Joe,wouldn't a 'tube emulation off' button be usefull if you're going to use real ones? As in you can chose between real tubes and emulation, since I have a big nasty feeling that if I add tubes to my V-amp the real tube compression would make a total mess when added ontop of the 'fake' compression from the V-amp circuitry.

ReplyQuote
(@shibby)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I didn't know the V-amp had a "fake" tube compression. I thought it just had a amp model called tube preamp. I guess I'll need to try it before I buy.

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Actually I've heard a lot of good about these amps. In regards to compression: consider the tubes in a preamp going to a tube amp. Nothing wrong there is there? So, assuming that the modeller is working by means of a good algorithm, things should be all good.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Shibby: all amps modeled are tube amps, and the behringer software of the V-amp desperately tries to mimic tube effects. It is worth a try, but definitely try before you buy at different volume levels. And let us know what you though!

Hueseph: Guess that could work. You know far more about electronic and technical stuff so I really can't say anything but 'seems logical to me, but have no real clue.' :D

ReplyQuote
(@shibby)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

And let us know what you though!

It will be a while, a little low on the cash flow right now and I don't want to tease myself by trying it. Maybe by Christmas though!

And thanks for your help, I guess i knew that but didn't realize it! I had one of those "man that was a dumb question" moments hehe.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I haven't spent a lot of time with the POD to learn all that it's capable. Would be interesting to see if that amp could sag the power supply. This is why I use solid-state power amps after I achieve my overdrive satuation from the tube amps, then add the effects I need.

Joe

ReplyQuote