Clear all

being greedy with the Epi 5W head

35 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Okay, can't remember who said that their guy at their local shoppe said that the Epi 5W head was in limited production. I searched on the net for more info on that and did not find anything. I figured I'd buy another anyway. Really, what I plan on doing is running guitar into Boss ME-50, left to one Epi head with 8 ohm 12'"speaker, and right to other Epi head with one 4 ohm 12" speaker. I like the sound of both cabs I have right now and can't figure out which I like better. Now, I can A/B test em. Then, maybe I'll get another to modify. AAAANNND maybe, another to leave in the box and put in the closet for the future! :roll:

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I'm just curious, but if you ran those two cabs in parallel (for a quasi-stereo arrangement), how would you set the resistance at the head? 4 ohm?

Or would it not be good to do that with the mixed resistance levels?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I don't know about that. That's why I'm sending one head into one cab and the other head into another cab. That will be stereo. Plus, I have an A/B pedal I could send the signal into my Vox AD30VT.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Ooooooh, cool stuff. You can even place seperate pedals after the ME50 outputs and have the ME50 effects pan over both. :D

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, Arjen!!!! The Vox has one effect I am using a little of, the "Flanger/Reverb" setting with the wet/dry signal about 50%. It sounds really nice seperately from the effects going on the ME-50. So, I may do the guitar to A/B pedal. A to ME-50, then into the 2 Epi's. B channel into the Vox. I still need to put my Fish 'n' chips EQ back in that chain somewhere. Plus, I am thinking of adding my Alesis Smashup compressor in there, maybe from my B channel to the Alesis. From the Alesis to my Vox and my Marshall solid state, since the Alesis compressor pedal has left and right out. Can't wait for that other Epi head to get here to really blow out some tone. Should be here Friday or Saturday. Then I'll Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday to have fun with it.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Okay, can't remember who said that their guy at their local shoppe said that the Epi 5W head was in limited production. I searched on the net for more info on that and did not find anything.

That would have been me. The salesman at GC in Madison told me that, and told me to go home & order it from MF. I don't know were he got this information, and I haven't heard or seen anything else that would imply that either. All I know is this little puppy rocks! 8) I want to get another one too! Sounds like a good plan you've got. :wink:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The Epi seems to be quite the hype on a lot of guitar fora and it's quite likely that they have difficulty keeping supply even with demand. Dutch stores have told me that the Valve Junior series is only limitedly availlable over here, and they are generally not sold below the MSRP.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I got my other Epi head in today. It doesn't work! Since it is still within a week of ordering and definitely under warranty, it is going back. They are shipping one for replacement. Hope it works. For $100, I would not really mind having to change some tubes myself, but since it is under waranty, why fool with mods until I really feel it is neccessary.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

97Reb

Oh yeah, send it right back. You really don't know what the problem is.

I wouldn't let this discourage you about this product. I have been in the Quality Assurance field for over 20 years, so maybe I see problems and defects differently than most people. I am not so quick to write off a company or particular product because someone got a lemon. In today's super competetive markets (and especially with online reviews), companies care about the quality of their products more than ever. One bad review can cost them lots of money. So companies go to great lengths to make the best products possible.

But there is no such thing as 100% perfection. No matter what you do, you are going to get a certain percentage of defects. And really, when you consider all the variables, the quality of today's products are amazing. Companies know they are going to get a certain amount of defects no matter what, and even accept a certain percentage defects.

The last company I worked for, some customers would accept up to 2% defect, while others would accept as much as 5% defect. This was acceptable to our customers, but that did not prevent my company from trying to make as perfect a product as possible. However, greater quality means more inspection (more money!). So if you want a nearly perfect product you have to pay more, and of course the customer has to pay more. We always kept defects below 1/2%. That is pretty good. But still, in every 200 products going out, there was usually at least 1 defect.

So Epiphone probably buys the components from many different companies, perhaps hundreds. And each of these companies is buying their components from many different companies as well. People are imperfect, so defects come from human operators. But machines break down and wear out, packages get bumped around during transit, like I said, when you consider all the variables, great quality is remarkable.

All this to say don't worry. You probably got that one unit out of 500 or 1000 that is defective. You could probably buy 200 more of these amps and never have a problem.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I really like the first one I got, so I am not worried about having to send one back. Like you said Wes, companies want repeat business and positive reviews. Musiciansfriend has been very kind and helpful so far with replacing the defective one.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

So, I got the replacement Epi head for the one that did not work. It is sweet having two of them. I need those attenuators. I have the guitar into an A/B pedal. "A" into the Boss ME50 and the "B" into my Vox AD30VT. I get some really great clean sounds. Plus with the stereo effects into the 2 Epi's, wow. I think I need to put my Dunlop Wah back in there somewhere because I don't really like the Boss ME50 Wah. I was not really feeling the Dunlop before, so I may need to try something else, altogether. Maybe, I'll play around with an EQ before or after a Wah, or before and after. Eh, anyway, I think you should all get another Epi Valve Jr. and run some cool stereo jams!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on your 2nd Epi VJ head.

I think I will get another as well. I thought I'd have one set clean, and the other set overdrive and just use an A/B switch to switch between them.

I have just about got my pedalboard for my Epi ready. So far I go Boss tuner, Dano Phase, Ibanez Powerlead, Dano Daddy-O overdrive, Dano EQ, Arion Stereo Chorus, Dano Tremelo, and Dano Delay (but used for reverb) in that order.

Funny the Ibanez Powerlead is the pedal I hated at first. It sounded terrible just about anywhere you set the Volume, Tone, and Gain. But I found one setting I love. I turn Gain all the way down to where it is clean, I turn Tone all the way down (bass), and Volume whatever I need for the situation. But this setting is great, it is sort of a pre-amp boost only. Gives a huge bottom end to all sounds, but nice sparkly highs as well. I leave this on all the time, makes clean sound warmer and fuller, makes the distortion on the Daddy-O really sound awesome. I also leave the Dano Delay set as a reverb only on most of the time. This amp sounds very good with a little reverb.

With this Powerlead boosting the pre-amp, this amp now sounds really loud (but clean) at only about 7 o'clock on the Volume knob. I think this will easily gig now.

That's what I really like about this amp, they are fun to experiment with. At only $99 you are not too worried about blowing it up. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

So, I got the replacement Epi head for the one that did not work. It is sweet having two of them. I need those attenuators. I have the guitar into an A/B pedal. "A" into the Boss ME50 and the "B" into my Vox AD30VT. I get some really great clean sounds. Plus with the stereo effects into the 2 Epi's, wow. I think I need to put my Dunlop Wah back in there somewhere because I don't really like the Boss ME50 Wah. I was not really feeling the Dunlop before, so I may need to try something else, altogether. Maybe, I'll play around with an EQ before or after a Wah, or before and after. Eh, anyway, I think you should all get another Epi Valve Jr. and run some cool stereo jams!

I went and got a 25 watt mono in-wall transformer volume control ( used for house systems)from radio shack . I put it in a project box and added a in and out jack . It works very well, I can even get some nice feed back at low volume. I got the Idea from this forum :D __the dog
http://www.valvejunior.com/index.html#disc

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I went and got a 25 watt mono in-wall transformer volume control ( used for house systems)from radio shack . I put it in a project box and added a in and out jack .

Sounds like a real inexpensive way to get an attenuator !

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I went and got a 25 watt mono in-wall transformer volume control ( used for house systems)from radio shack . I put it in a project box and added a in and out jack .

Sounds like a real inexpensive way to get an attenuator !

Here is a pic of my set up, Its kinda ugly but it is a BLUES amp after all :lol:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3