Notifications
Clear all

[b]Fender combo amp to cabinet[/b]

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jlr0903)
Topic starter  

I'm trying to find out of this will work. I've got a Fender Deluxe 90 combo amp, not a DSP. I'm trying to find out if its compatible with a cabinet. I saw a Fender FM-100 4x12 cabinet, but I don't know if it will plug in to the combo amp. Most would require a head. But I've heard otherwise. One, can the PWR IN on the combo amp plug into the input on the cabinet. Two, I've heard that I can take out the speaker plug and and connect it that way, but I have to make sure the impedance is right. I'd like to do the first, but I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions.

(@jlr0903)
Topic starter  

If anyone could just tell me what the PWR IN on the amp is for?

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

The PWR IN would be for plugging a preamp into the combo amp. You could run a preamp out from another amp into this input to use the combo as a slave.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

So what I gather you can do is this JLR: If your combo has a slave out, you can run a line from that to the input on the 4x12. However, I would check to make sure the impedence matches from your preamp on the combo to the 4x12, just to be on the safe side.

But don't take my word for it, I'm not an expert by any means. As you can see I have posts with similar questions.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@moriondor)
Trusted Member

Well you almost have it....

The slave out is used to connect one amp in to another using the pre-amp section of the first amp to create the sound. The second amp would then drive the speakers.

If you have a combo that has a loudspeaker output that you can disconnect, rather then an output that you are unable to pull out, you can run a lead from that output to an external cab to drive it. Check the impendence first to ensure it matches the cabinet and away you go, your combo has become a head.

a cauliflower is just a cabbage with a college education

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Here is your manual.

http://www.fender.com/support/manuals/pdfs/manuals_elec/guitarpdf/Deluxe_90.pdf

As far as I can see, you cannot run an extension speaker or cab from this amp.

However, if you can see that the speaker is connected to the amp head with a 1/4" jack, you can. Simply disconnect the internal speaker. Then run a speaker cable (not instrument cable, there is a difference) from this 1/4" "Speaker Out" to the external cab or speaker.

The PreAmp Out is for running into a multi-efx pedal or even another amp. The pedal or amp will receive the signal from the preamp section of your amp.

The Power In is the opposite. This bypasses the preamp section of your amp and goes straight to the power section. You could come out of the "line out" or preamp out on another amp into this. The other amp will control your sound. You can run from your guitar into a multi-efx and then straight into the Power In, the pedal will have complete control over volume and tone.

But the PreAmp Out and Power In is really your "effects loop". You would normally come out of the PreAmp Out into the input of a multi-efx pedal. Then you come out of the output on the multi-efx and go back into your amp via the Power In. This is running a pedal through the effects loop. Your guitar would plug into the instrument jack on the amp.

The PreAmp Out and Power In are for "line" signals. This is a very weak signal. The "Speaker Out" is a very powerful signal from your amp. A Speaker Out should only be plugged into a speaker or cab. If you try to plug this into an amp or pedal, it will fry it instantly. :shock:

The PreAmp Out on your amp is a "line" signal. It will not power a speaker.

Here is a brief definition of "line" level signals from Scott's PA Tutorial. This explains better than I could.
Line Level - A low level signal associated with most of the components of a sound system. The cables (RCA, 1/4, and XLR) that hook up the different parts of the system carry a line level signal. Guitars with active electronics use a line level signal. Keyboards use a line level signal. Active mics use a line level signal. But mics and guitars with inactive pickups must be boosted to line level with a pre-amp in the mixer or guitar amp. For practical purposes (though technically inaccurate), we can think of everything that isn't a speaker (or high power) signal as line level. Remember that speaker outputs are not line level. Plugging speaker outs into line ins will result in damage to the equipment

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

So what I gather you can do is this JLR: If your combo has a slave out, you can run a line from that to the input on the 4x12. However, I would check to make sure the impedence matches from your preamp on the combo to the 4x12, just to be on the safe side.

But don't take my word for it, I'm not an expert by any means. As you can see I have posts with similar questions.

A slave out does not go into a speaker cab. A speaker out goes into a speaker cab. A slave out, or preamp out goes into the power amp in of another amp, not a cab.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@moriondor)
Trusted Member

I have a question regarding this. Are the "Preamp out" and "Power in" also known under other names on some amps???

ReplyQuote
(@jtb226)
Estimable Member

^^^^

yes. on most other amps, they are call the "send" and "return" of the effects loop

"Heavy decibels are playing on my guitar
We got vibrations comin' up from the floor
We're just listenin' to the rock
That's givin' too much noise....
Rock and roll ain't noise pollution"
~AC/DC

ReplyQuote
(@moriondor)
Trusted Member

Thanks for that.

ReplyQuote