Blues Junior or Peavey Classic 30?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Jip
(@jip)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Wanting to get a small 1x12 all tube combo - I like to play blues, Hendrix, etc. There's obviously a difference in price between these two as well as 1-ch vs. 2-channel. How do each of these amps react to pedals?

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Both work well with pedals, especially overdrive. Both amps have many admirers and satisfied owners. Both currently are under discussion in the Ampliers section (where you posted your original Q reqarding the Classic 30, and to where this thread probably will be moved).

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

I just got a used Peavey Classic 30 and love it, first tube amp I ever played!
I run my V-Amp2 through it no problems, I am looking at getting a Behringer TO800 Tube Overdrive as Wes suggested.
HTH
Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Well, as you mentioned the Peavey does cost more but thats because it's more amp. By that I mean it has more features, not that it is better. I recently bought a Classic 30 but I would have no problem with the Blues Junior either. I spent the extra money on the Classic 30 because I wanted an amp I could gig with if need be, yet be small enough for home use. The amps are very alike, both have 12" speakers and reverb, but the Peavey has 2 channel operation and is 30 watts as opposed to the Blues Juniors 15 watts. I'm sure a Junior could keep up with a drum kit though, but the Peavey is about the same size with twice the power and I kind of like Peavey's dirty sound a little better. I play classic rock though. I drive my input with a Tube Screamer to make it sound even hotter. Had I not had the extra money in my budget I would have brought the Junior home in a heart beat. Oh, yeah, how do they react to pedals? The Peavy works great with them. I haven't tried a Blues Junior with pedals.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The Peavy works great with them. I haven't tried a Blues Junior with pedals.

I have the Blues Junior and a Classic 50 4x10 (same amp as 30, but more power in output stage and four 10-inch 'Blue Marvels' instead of one 12-inch BM) and EFX pedals work about the same for both the BJ and the C50 when placed between guitar and amp input. And IIRC, the Classic 50 input circuit is probably identical that of the Classic 30, so this comparison should stand for the Classic 30. Other notes:

* I have never been impressed by the Classic 50's effects loop and don't use it; though one can argue that delay FX after the input overdrive should in theory should better -- but that's in theory. My guess is the impedances and/or level handling of the EFX loop could be better.

* Dual channel switching on the Classic has proven more important for my use than has the extra power/loudness; but even with only a single channel, portability of the Blue Junior wins out 95% of the time when it comes to gigging.

* Plugged directly into the Blues Junior (no EFX), my Taylor T5 (active pups) overloads the Blues Junior in a not so nice way -- it sounds "broken" unless I turn down the T5's volume significantly. This is probably due to all the "zingy" high frequency energy the T5 puts out -- not typical for most electric guitars. This in not much of an issue for the Classic 50, which has a "low" input to attenuate overly hot signals. All my other passive pup guitars work nicely with the Blues Junior.

* Classic 50's reverb is more easily adjusted to lower levels. The Blues Junior is well known to be reverb heavy above a "3" setting. I agree, and usually keep 'verb at 2 or less when using it.

* The quality of Peavey's chrome plating is marginal. There is some rust on my Peavey's control panel. It's never seen the rain, just eight years of summer humidity in NJ.

* A lot of Fender fanatics have "adopted" the Classic 30 as a workingman's amp. Check the web on this.

In short: I bought the Blues Junior as a lighter-weight stand-in for my Classic 50. Now, I generally prefer the Blues Junior unless I need the extra power (rarely, except maybe outdoors). Tonally, they are both solid "Tweed" amps.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote