Notifications
Clear all

budget head

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jpowel12)
Topic starter  

hey, I just got a Crate GT412 cabinet for $200 and now I need a head.

(the cabinet) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-GT412-4X12-Full-Size-Guitar-Cabinet?sku=603017

The cabinet can handle 320W, though I really don't need that much. I already have a GNX3 for all my effects and distortion so I'm just looking for a cheap, loud head. Hopefully a head that will have a very good clean sound and still sound great with my pedal.

Any suggestions...I know this is going to narrow my choices a lot but I'm hoping for something around $300 or less...I will pay more for a better head, but I don't have the funds right now. I don't have a deadline to buy a head for or anything, I'm just weighing my options right now and if the price is right, I'll buy one.

Here's what I was looking at:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-FM-100H-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=483716

Thanks guys!

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

You could get the one that matches it for $199

I have one. It is solid state but for the money it ain't bad. Actually I got the one without all the bells and whistles. I used to have the combo version of this one. It is solid state but its hard to find more amp than this for under $200.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-GLX1200H-120W-Head?sku=487710

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

TR's suggestion is very good.

Most guitar workstations give better results when run through a full-range, flat response power amp, rather than through a traditional guitar amp. If you go to the Digitech Guitar Workstation Forum there are several discussions about this.

If you get something like the Crate, I'd recommend running your GNX3 into the effects return jack, rather than through the front input, for clean power. Since the GNX3 is a modeling workstation and doesn't have a way to truly bypass the amp models (even when set to bypass - it's not), you'll get better results if you don't run it through another preamp.
You could also get a used Crate Powerblock for under $100 (150w biamped), and similarly run through the effects loop. I did that with a GNX3000 and it worked very well.

A PA amp would be another option.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

delete - double post (my 2nd today! need more coffee ... )

ReplyQuote
(@jpowel12)
Topic starter  

TR's suggestion is very good.

Most guitar workstations give better results when run through a full-range, flat response power amp, rather than through a traditional guitar amp. If you go to the Digitech Guitar Workstation Forum there are several discussions about this.

If you get something like the Crate, I'd recommend running your GNX3 into the effects return jack, rather than through the front input, for clean power. Since the GNX3 is a modeling workstation and doesn't have a way to truly bypass the amp models (even when set to bypass - it's not), you'll get better results if you don't run it through another preamp.
You could also get a used Crate Powerblock for under $100 (150w biamped), and similarly run through the effects loop. I did that with a GNX3000 and it worked very well.

A PA amp would be another option.

ok, went there and they've helped a little...the PA power amp idea seems pretty cool to me...I mean I could get a 300W power amp for $150 and run it into my cab right? That's be pretty nice.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I read in Guitar World that this is what Kurt Kobain did. :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Interesting; I didn't know that.

Jpowel12, I'm curious - why do you need so much power?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

That is not what Cobain did, he didnt use digital modeling. Apart from that, get the idea out of your head that you need 300W. Really, you'll regret it. Instead of volume, go for tone.

ReplyQuote
(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

As far as a solid-state power amp to use with a modeler/workstation, one of the best I've heard is the TubeWorks MV-962 MOSValve. It's stereo, 80+80. There's one on e-bay currently:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOSVALVE-TUBEWORKS-MV-962-STEREO-GUITAR-TUBE-WORKS_W0QQitemZ230197064201QQihZ013QQcategoryZ121161QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That Crate 4-12 is already wired for stereo, if I recall correctly.

Cheers!

Strat

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

That is not what Cobain did, he didnt use digital modeling. Apart from that, get the idea out of your head that you need 300W. Really, you'll regret it. Instead of volume, go for tone.
I didn't say he used digital modeling. The article said he used a Crown power amp, intended for PA, as a guitar amp. I don't recal what stomp boxes or preamp it said he used.

Here is an excerpt from the interview:

GW: What was the last amp you blew up?

Kurt: A Crown power amp that was intended for use as a PA, but which I used for a guitar's head because I can never find an amp that's powerful enough-and because I don't want to have to deal with hauling 10 Marshall heads. I'm lazy-I like to have it all in one package. For a preamp I have a Mesa/Boogie, and I turn all the mid-range up. And I use Radio Shack speakers.

GW: How reliable is this setup? It doesn't seem like it would be that durable, especially in view of all the touring you do.

Kurt: It works out okay. The sound changes with every club we play in, but I'm never satisfied. I think the sound I get is mainly a result of the Roland EF-1 distortion box I use. I go through about five a tour.

Here is a link to the entire article
http://www.burntout.com/kurt/interviews/int3.html

Wow! I just looked at the date on this article. I read this article 15 years ago. Thank God for the internet so I could look it up cause that magazine is burried in my attic.

ReplyQuote