Bugera V22

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Guys,

Currently looking for a new tube amp.Currently on the list are a Peavey Classic 30,Laney VC30 or an Orange TinyTerror.
However recently came aross the Bugera V22 and I'm very very tempted.22 watt all valve combo for just £259!
They have had great reviews and all the clips I have seen sound amazing.Some people have had their reservations as it is distributed by Behringer but to be honest I'm not really bothered about that.
Just wondering if any one owns one of these or any other Bugera models.

Any help much appreciated.

Bob.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I don't know what type of music you're playing, but I would, personally, go for the Peavey Classic or the Laney VC30, they're both excellent amps, with proven track records.

Bugera, I don't know. Behringer has a reputation for cheap and cheerful, so that may include Bugera. Some of Behringer's stuff is very good value for money, so that may include Bugera.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I find it curious that the Bugera V5 came out at around the same time as the Vox AC4, same size with almost the same features (notably, the three-way power switching.) Bugera adds reverb the Vox doesn't have. Vox is prettier, that's for sure, but ...

There's an old joke:
Q: how do you make a Digitech overdrive pedal sound better?
A: Take off the Digitech logo and double the price.

I have a feeling there may be something like that going on here. It's probably the same amp from the same factory; or at least it's probably very comparable from a quality perspective. Maybe a different voicing in the tone stack. Vox costs more.

On the V22, I've read that some people are changing the tubes and maybe the speakers to get a better tone, but overall the satisfaction level seems high. Unfortunately the Bugera name is too new to have an idea of durability. Behringer quality control is hit-or-miss, in my experience. (I own a couple Behringer items now and they're fine; I've bought and gotten rid of several other Behringer things because they were just terrible.)

So, I guess the bottom line is, if it sounds good to you, play it.

Just be sure to ditch the gaudy Bugera logo ... :lol:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I don't know what type of music you're playing, but I would, personally, go for the Peavey Classic or the Laney VC30, they're both excellent amps, with proven track records.

Bugera, I don't know. Behringer has a reputation for cheap and cheerful, so that may include Bugera. Some of Behringer's stuff is very good value for money, so that may include Bugera.

The Peavey Classic is currently may favourite but a decent second hand one is going to set me back at least £350 and a new one around £500.At £259 new the Bugera is is almost half the price which is making think it might be worth taking a chance.

bob

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@boogieman)
Trusted Member

Played on at Sam Ash the other day. Awesome tone, great size, very loud (small to medium gigs with NO Problem). It had only been on the floor for a day or two.

Problem: It had a very strange buzzing. Not constant, but it was there while playing and holding the strings quiet.

The salesman tried to convince me it was my blackberry interferring. Not buying that.

I think I just tried a bad one and would try another if the need for a 15 watter comes up (which it probably will). :twisted:

ReplyQuote