Clear all

Buying a new amp

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@xkmangwingx)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've been looking for a new amp recntly, and have cheked out local pawnshops, Guitar Center, and Brook Mays. What I really want is a tube amp, becuase I really like the sound. I found a couple of amps that i really like. The Crat v30H and the cabinet, a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Deville, a Marshall Jtm 30, a Laney v30-112, and the Peavey Classic 30. I was wondering what peoples opinions on these amps were, and how reliable they are. Thanks a lot!

(@rocker)
Noble Member

i can speak for the hot rod deville, i bought mine about 2 months ago, and i love it, it has a beautiful sound, and it is so loud its deafening.

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@xkmangwingx)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I couldn't notice alot of difference tonewise between the deluxe and deville. Is the only difference the loudness?

ReplyQuote
(@xkmangwingx)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Oh, figured i'd go ahead and mention that all of the amps are used, except for one of the deluxes.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

the deville is the deluxes big brother, just 20 more amps.

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, as Rocker said, the Deluxe and DeVille are really the same amp. The Deluxe is 40 watts and 1 X 12, the DeVille is 60 watts and either 2 X 12 or 4 X 10. They sound almost exactly the same, except the DeVille sounds fuller because of the multiple speakers. The Deluxe sounds more direct, or focused.

These are great amps with an excellent clean channel. The drive channels are very 70s sounding. You will need pedals to get modern distortions. But these amps are very pedal friendly.

The Peavey Classic 30 is a great and famous amp. It has a very good clean channel and a great overdrive channel as well. It is used by thousands of gigging musicians.

That Crate is solid state isn't it? Crate makes nice amps that are very affordable. They are usually very reliable.

I am not that familiar with that particular Marshall amp or the Laney. But Laney has a good reputation.

I would take your guitar down and play through each one. Go for the one that has the best tone. :wink:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Classic 30 has attained almost cult status in some circles, and with good reason. If you can find a good deal on one, snag it and keep it always in your amp arsenal.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@xkmangwingx)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've taken my guitar and played each one. I like the fender the best, and am going to go listen to thge classic 30 in a couple of days. The only problem is that they're all at different store, so I can't compare them side by side, like i'd like. But thats ok. And no, the crate is not a solid state, its all tube.

ReplyQuote