Skip to content
Daisy-Chaining Powe...

Notifications
Clear all

Daisy-Chaining Powered Stage Monitors - Impedance Issues?

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

In our church, we have only one "send" channel from the mixer back to the stage area in our corner of the altar. We have a pair of JBL Eon 10" PA speakers to use as monitors, but because of some noise problems have been able to use only one ... and that one gets aimed at the keyboard player so she can hear the singers.

Last night after practice I was able to fix the noise problem and daisy-chain the monitors (each has balanced input and output jacks) for buzz-free sound. I was also able to convince the praise team leader that we need more monitors - at least two for the singers, one for the keyboard player, and one for the other musicians.

Given that we can only connect one monitor to the mixer, I would need to daisy chain the other monitors. Since each monitor is self-powered, I am wondering if there are impedance issues I'd need to worry about? Or can I hook up a theoretically unlimited number of powered monitors this way? I searched the product manual, but it doesn't say ...

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

(@leear)
Honorable Member

ok so they are powered monitors. I don't see why not? I've never tried it or had this situation I would say it works. How is your PA setup is it a powered board or are we talking a mixer board and some amps on stage? I can help you more if I knwo this.

Don't take my word on the powered monitors now. I'm just assuming since they provide their own power then you can really never go below 2ohms which.. and all your doing is passing signal from one to the other.

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

each has balanced input and output jacks
Unless the manufacturer says otherwise in their paperwork, I'd assume that you could go on forever. The presence of an output jack indicates to me (again, without reading the manual for your specific brand) that you can carry on to others without issue
I wouldn't be concerned about overloading / causing damage to the mixer's output. This is a line level (0.7 volts), not a speaker level.

The only issues you might have is with a reduced overall signal level to the collection of monitors.
Not damaging, but might reduce the usefulness of the monitors if they can't be turned up enough to compensate.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

The only issues you might have is with a reduced overall signal level to the collection of monitors

I agree with this, this is the only problem you should experience. You may notice the first monitor in the chain is quite loud and additional monitors will seem progressively quieter. Best bet is to use good heavy speaker cables, I would go for 12 gauge for sure, and don't buy excessively long cables you do not necessarily need. The shorter, the better. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hey thanks everyone for chiming in!

I just got off the phone with JBL's tech support (probably shoulda called them in the first place) and they confirmed that it is pass-through, and each monitor functions independently as we thought. The tech I spoke with also said we shouldn't notice much signal degradation until we get up to six ( !!! ) units, depending on the length of the cables, of course. For our purpose, 4 units with relatively short cable runs should work great.

Hmmm, now I need to convince the church to step up to some 15 inchers, and a sub ... ;)

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Best bet is to use good heavy speaker cables

Speaker cables for the line in of a powered monitor?
he tech I spoke with also said we shouldn't notice much signal degradation until we get up to six ( !!! ) units, depending on the length of the cables, of course.

If you do see some signal loss after looping thru a few of these, I would think pushing the "loop/mix" button to "mix" mode would introduce some amplification into the "out" connector. At least that's what I get from looking at the spec sheet

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Speaker cables for the line in of a powered monitor

Boy, I forgot. :oops:

I am so used to daisy-chaining passive speakers and monitors together.

So get some good instrument cable. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

If you do see some signal loss after looping thru a few of these, I would think pushing the "loop/mix" button to "mix" mode would introduce some amplification into the "out" connector. At least that's what I get from looking at the spec sheet

Interesting ... engaging the loop/mix button is how I solved the buzz problem ... :shock: ... but there wasn't a notable change in volume. Hmmm ...

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I knew that's what you meant. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member