Ebay Danelectro Daddy O : quick review

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I bought a Danelectro Daddy O in good condition from e-bay. A few quick impressions on it.

Reason to get it: I want to get more "crunch" from my Epi Galaxie 10 at low volumes. It gives a nice crunch if I turn up the gain, but then it gets way too loud.

The Daddy-O seems to do a good job of getting closer to what I want. It can give me a nice crunch and also some nice distortion at low volumes. It has a volume knob, which is nice, and helps to keep the volume in check while turning up the crunch or distortion. Also seems to be really quite solidly built.

It's a little bulky; also all the knobs other than gain are kind of small and scrunched together, so they are hard to adjust. And I have not really played around with the eq on it to see how it affects stuff, they are all set all the way to max.

All in all, I'm really pleased with what I got for $27 including shipping. I've been trying to get a Boss BD-2 off ebay, now have to decide whether I really want to get it or not..

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Nice review; thanks!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Vink

I own a Daddy-O as well and have recommended it many times. For the money, it is a great pedal. It sounds very good and is very versatile. You can go from a clean boost (Volume up, O Drive down) or almost Metal distortion (Volume down, O Drive up).

But the Daddy-O is not supposed to be a Metal distortion pedal. It is an overdrive pedal. It is good to get the same type of overdrive you get on many tube amps.

As for the tone knobs, just think of them the same way you would adjust the tone controls on your amp. You can turn the Highs and Lows all the way up and turn the Mids down to get the classic "scooped" tone. You can turn Mids up to get a great lead guitar tone that will cut through the mix. You can really get great Punk guitar type tones with this pedal.

Don't have my pedal in front of me right now, but lately I've been using Bass or Lows around 9 o'clock position, Mids about 10:30 o'clock position, and Highs around 11 o'clock I believe. I like O Drive about 12-2 o'clock position. I get a really nice solid crunch tone that I like for Rock rhythm guitar tones. I have always loved the tone from White Room by Cream. With these settings, and turning the tone on my guitar down some, I get real close to this tone and the tone Eric Clapton used on Sunshine of Your Love as well.

Turn back O Drive a little to about 11 o'clock and it sounds a lot like AC/DC. :twisted:

So this is a great pedal for those classic Rock and Punk tones.

Have fun and let me know of settings you like. This pedal will get almost any tone (except Grunge). :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I may have to get one just for kicks. I just plugged my Arion Tubulator in between my bass and Ashdown 180 bass amp to find out if I could get a good distorted doom metal bass sound. It worked veryveryvery nicely.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

97Reb

I was reading reviews on the Tubulator last night, it seems to be a very popular pedal, and for only $19.99 it's hard to go wrong. I know Ken (SmokingDog) uses one with his Epi Valve head and posted some clips. Sounded pretty great to me.

There are lots of good inexpensive pedals out there, and some of these high-priced pedals are way overrated. I went to see a friend's band this Friday night, the other guitar player was using an Ibanez TS808 Tubescreamer. This is supposed to be the ultimate overdrive pedal. But honestly, it didn't sound that good at all to me. Perhaps it was the particular settings he was using. But man, for $150, I expect fantastic tone. I was a little turned off to this pedal.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Wes, thanks for the tips on the settings. I will be playing more with the pedal, will definitely try the "cream" settings. I love EC!

I also plan to try this pedal on my Vox AD30VT, to see how it does in overdriving some of the amp models, especially the fender tweed model..need to get a power supply, otherwise I am going to go through lot of batteries :-)

--vink

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Vink

Oh yeah, you will like this pedal, it is super versatile. It will probably sound great on clean models, don't know about others.

But don't think the tone knobs have to be turned to max. You can get great tones with them turned counter-clockwise too. Sometimes if you turn Bass full it gets really boomy. If so, come down on bass and compensate by coming down on Mids and Highs too. You can get a great heavy tone with lots of bottom end without the boominess.

You will really never run out of tones with this pedal.

Many say Danos eat batteries quick. I don't know, I have mine on a pedalboard with a 1 Spot adaptor. Really great, I am powering 9 pedals. This will power 5 pedals normally, but I bought the optional extension cable to power 5 more.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

[quote="Wes Inman".

Many say Danos eat batteries quick. I don't know, I have mine on a pedalboard with a 1 Spot adaptor. Really great, I am powering 9 pedals. This will power 5 pedals normally, but I bought the optional extension cable to power 5 more.

I'm a great fan of Danelectro pedals, and I've not found their appetite for batteries to be much of a problem

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

This must be the week for eBay and Dano. I just received my Daddy-O today. Wes is right, combined with my Blues Jr., this thing nails that Sunshine of Your Love tone. I am in heaven.

/Dwayne

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dwayne & Vink

Oh yeah, it was Eric Clapton with Cream that made me want to play guitar. The first time I heard Sunshine of Your Love, White Room, and Tales of Great Ulysses, I was blown away. And I have been trying to get that tone for 30 years. To this day I have never heard better IMHO.

Ah, listen to this rhythm guitar tone:

http://media.putfile.com/Cream---White-Room-76

Now, here's how to get Eric Clapton's famous "Woman tone"

1) Turn all amp tone controls to max (clockwise)
2) Turn guitar tone controls all the way down (bass). Bridge and Neck pickups are best, but the Bridge/Middle position works well too, I read this was EC's favorite position.
3)Turn your amp up as loud as you can. This is very important to get this tone. If you use the Clean channel you really have to crank it. If you use the Overdrive channel, turn Gain up about 1/2.
4) If you have a Wah, turn it on and back it off about 3/4.

Now you would think with your tone control turned down on your guitar it will sound muffled. And it will at low volumes. But as you crank your amp up the highs will come out. You will get a very thick full tone, but with great crunch. And your amp will not sound so nearly as loud as if you had the tone control turned up on your guitar.

Now, I can't guarantee this will nail EC's tone perfect, but it will get you real close. You may have to experiment a bit with the tone controls on your amp or guitar, but not much.

See what you think. :D

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Wes, I will give it a try, but I have to find a time when I can play loud .. my usual method of playing downstairs after 10:30 pm when the rest of the family is sleeping won't work :-)

BTW, is that your band? That cover sounds real good..

--vink

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Vink

No, that was Cream. I wish I could play Wah like that. :D

Sorry to change the subject of this thread. The Daddy-O is a great pedal though, and pretty good at getting tube amp overdrive. This pedal is so flexible, I really don't know another pedal that can get so many various tones. Turn those knobs, you will be surprised at all the tones you can get.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Wes,

Ok, I thought it sounded darn good .. you could have claimed credit :-) I have the "Cream of Clapton" album, and it's one of my favourites..

I have barely started exploring this pedal. I was looking for a Boss BD-2 on ebay, didn't win on couple of them, saw this and bid. I think I am going to hold off on the BD-2 for a while since I have this to play around with it. Basically, what I need is something that can push my galaxy 10 into more of a "singing lead " tone and different levels of crunch. If this can do it, then I don't need the Boss BD-2.

--vink

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Vick

I mostly use this pedal to get great crunch rhythm guitar tones, but it can be used for lead guitar several ways.

If you want a great clean boost, just turn Volume way up, and turn O Drive way down. This is good if you want to get SRV type tones. It is a clean tone that breaks up. If you want more of a singing Metal tone, just turn O Drive all the way up and adjust your Volume. This pedal has nice sustain and lots of gain too. It will almost do Heavy Metal.

If you really want your leads to jump out, use lots of Mids.

ReplyQuote