Clear all

effects loop

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@scottish-nutter)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

i have a marshall dsl401 amp, i had my marshall reflector reverb pedal in the effects loop until i unplugged the cables from the effects loop and i noticed that the amp sounds a lot better when nothing is in the loop, is this normal for pedals plugged into the loop to alter the sound even if they are turned off? i tried the reverb plugged into the front of the amp and it didnt sound good at all
thanks

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

It's surprising to hear that Marshall's own products don't sound good with their amps. It sounds to me like the pedal does not have a true bypass.

I don't understand why this has become such an issue in the past few years. It seems to me that a true bypass is such a simple circuit design that it should be of no consequence but I guess it's cheaper to just "turn off" part of the board rather than create a whole seperate path for the signal.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member

what exactly is the effects loop for?

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

An effects loop is there for effects that you don't want to be affected by the distortion circuitry. For example reverb when distorted sounds horrible but when you add it to the distorted signal before it goes to the amplification circuit it can sound very nice. Chorus, delay, flanger are the typical things you would want to keep in the effects loop.

Compresser/limiter, gate, distoriton, eq and any effect which you want to apply to the general tone of your guitar, (which would affect the entire signal) you would want to keep in series with the amp input.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

To follow on from what hueseph said, the pre-amp in your amp is also regarded as a distortion circuit and, so, goes before the time based (echo, reverb, etc.) effects. This is the reason for having the effects loop, between the pre-amp and the power amp.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote