Clear all

EQ for mains

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I have a yamaha emx5000-12 powered board i also have a behringer UB1222FX that i use. I use both boards simultaneously by going through my Power amp in, on the yahama, from the behringer. this way i have 24 channels. I have a a 2 channel 31 band EQ I want to add. I want 1 channel for mains and the other for monitors so I can kill feedback problems and the such. How would I go about doing this. I know how u would do it on a regular board. but i have the powered board. so how do i but the EQ on my mains and monitors. please help me. I'm open to any advice............

really need a definate good answer though.. i need it for the weekend so i dont have too much time for trial and error............

thanks

WES
LAZ
HELP PLEASE

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

You rang?

Connect Mono Out to EQ channel 1 input.
Connect EQ channel 1 output to Amp In A.

Connect whatever your monitor channel is (Aux1?) output to EQ channel 2 input.
Connect EQ channel 2 output to Amp In B.

Ta-daa!

Remember that if you boost anything in the EQ you can overdrive the amp, although the limiter should still work.

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

that sounds correct, but how do i do it when i have my behringer board ran into the power amp in........or how should i connect my two boards together because i use one for vocals and one for instruments.........

and thanks

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Oh, I misunderstood. So you have 12 channels feeding Amp A and 12 channels feeding Amp B? Doesn't seem right...

Anyway, for your description, take the output from the Behringer into one channel of the EQ and then into the amp input.

Alternately, bring the Behringer into an Aux input and mix it there.

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I am glad Dan answered that because I am not familiar with your Yamaha (great powered mixer though).

Most feedback problems come from the monitors and not the mains. So, keep everything out of the monitors that is not necessary. You don't need bass or drums in the monitors, they can hear that on stage usually. You rarely need a guitar in the monitors. In my band I do put Lane in the monitors because he is always on the opposite side of Dom our bass player. I am inbetween Dom and the drummer. So Dom cannot always hear Lane because of me. So I put Lane in the monitors for Dom's sake. But I quit putting my guitar in the monitors. It is just more noise, and more chances of feedback.

Turn off any mics not being used. So if you have 4 vocal mics going, but only one singer on a song, turn the others down or off.

One of the most difficult things of being a soundman is getting a band to trust you and your judgement. To get the best sound you need to bring stage sound down as much as possible. The musicians on stage will often oppose you. They want everything nice and loud on stage and in their monitors. The result is feedback. You have to convince them to trust your judgement and that you are getting them a great sound out front that they cannot hear but the audience can. 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote