Notifications
Clear all

eq tell me everythin u know

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@davelupus)
Topic starter  

just got a berhinger eq pedal, wonderin if anyones got any advice on how to use it to its best. would it be best through the effects loop? im thinkin to get another one to use as a solo boost aswell. anyone got some really good settins for solo work??

(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

just try messing around with it, change the settings stick it in different places in your chain. you can end up with some really cool tones depending on your setup. just have fun :)

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

yeah, play around with the levels. and dont forget to take notes. you may find something and not be able to remember.

one thing I found is that I like mid ranges.
not alot. but some.I tried the scooping mid thing I hear so often...hated it. sounds puny. I brought the mids back up a bit above level and my whole sound improved.

I like the high frqs up and the lows close to where the highs are.
but Im not creating a scooped mid setting.
each EQ varies a bit.

setting depends on what you want.
if you want the pedal as a lead boost set the level higher than your guitar volume so when you hit the EQ you are boosted.
but you probably knew that.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@davelupus)
Topic starter  

cheers, ill just have to mess a bout then! one more thing though, if i put the eq pedal through my effects loop what happens to the eq of the amp, is it still useable or do i set it flat? would my comp be better in the effects loop also?

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I dont have an FX loop on my amp; I run a pedal train instead.
still, I set my amp EQ for what I want for general purpose.
then I set the EQ pedal for the set up I am running that night. (it varies depending on what instruments I play).

you can run everything through your FX loop. comp and all.
set the output of the EQ pedal to where you want the volume to occur. ie: lead clean boost.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

An EQ pedal set flat doesn't do anything at all. It is neither boosting or cutting any frequency.

The sliders for each frequency on an EQ pedal are simply volume controls. I think it is easier to understand an EQ pedal once you know this. And there is bleed-over above and below each slider. So if you cut 125hZ for instance, it would affect 100hZ and 150hZ as well. And of course a 10 band EQ will divide the frequencies into smaller bandwidths than a 7 band EQ.

There are so many things you can do with an EQ pedal. You can set everything flat but push the Master Volume up (some do not have this). This will allow you to get a big volume boost for a solo without changing your tone.

Of course, you could also have a special tone just for your solo with the volume pushed up as well.

You can do the "scooped mids" thing. Your EQ will look like a V. This is good for Heavy Metal rhythm. But this is not a good setting usually for lead solos.

For lead guitar you want to push your Mids up. This will really cut through.

You can run your EQ in front of the amp, or you could run it through the Effects Loop. IMHO it is very good to run it through the Effects Loop in combination with your tone settings on the amp. This allows you to very fine tune your tone. On the contrary, when you run the EQ before your preamp, you actually lose a little of the usefulness of the EQ, because the tone controls (usually 3 band, Bass, Mids, and Highs) on your amp are so wide and cover a much wider bandwidth of frequencies each.

You can set your amps tone controls flat (in the middle) and then simply use your EQ in the Effects Loop to find your tone.

Just experiment. EQs are very useful and lots of fun.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

A nice thing I use a lot: If you use a fair ammount of gain, drop it and put an EQ *before* the amp. Have it boost the midrange a fair ammount so you overdrive the amp differently. It sounds more defined and less blury that way, in my experience atleast.

ReplyQuote
(@davelupus)
Topic starter  

take it when u say before the amp u mean in the loop? i only use the clean channel on my amp, fender performer 1000, cos the dist is a bit gash, i've got a line six crunch tone for my dist which is ace, would raisin the mids still sound good for the clean?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

No, before the amp is guitar->EQ->amp.

ReplyQuote
(@classic_rock_kid08)
Trusted Member

I tried the whole "scooped mids" thing, and I absolutely hated it. On my amp, it just takes away all the tone and punch. On my amp there are 2 EQs. one pre and one post. It also has lo mid and hi boost buttons. It's a carvin ProBass 200. I just press in the lo and mid buttons, center everything on the pre, and have the post flat from lo to mid, then boost the highs a tad. It took a while, but it sounds awesome, especially for rock, and even better when I use a little bit of overdrive.

Music is one of the most powerful forces on this planet, why not put it to use?
Brandon Pace
http://www.brandonmpace.com

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I bracket everything with equalizers. Meaning before and after. I use both analog and digital units. Try putting one before and one after a distortion pedal, you'll be amazed how much more control of the dstortion you'll have. If a person was to buy say an ART 341, being its stereo you would end up with two 15 band eq's. Which could be place before and after an effect unit. Being you pick up stereo equalizers like the one mentioned for less than $100.0 us. I look at it as a better deal than spending about the same on one pedal and only ending up with one Eq out of it.

Just my thought.

Joe

ReplyQuote