Clear all

Fender Tube Amps (Bassman, HRD, etc.) Owners opinions please

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@flashback)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Basically I am looking for opinions on Fender's tubeamps.

Anyone who owns a Hot Rod Deluxe, Bassman Reissue, Blues Deluxe, Hot Rod Deville, or even a Blues Junior. I would really like a full on opinion on them.

Mainly what I am looking for is a tube amp I can use to gig with, that can be used with pedals very well. And have a crystal clear clean channel (which I know Fender is famous for).

Thanks for reading this, and I appreciate even a little input.

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

(@rocker)
Noble Member

flashback

i'm going to go buy the hot rod deville tomarrow, i"ll post reviews right after i rock.

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

See Wes' comments here:

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=20859

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@boogieman)
Trusted Member

I've got a Blues Jr. and for having only 15 watts, it's very loud. Great clear tone, works well with pedals (especially a tube screamer or close). I love it. Mines stock and I love the tone, however, with some minor tweaking (I don't hve the skills) I hear you can get even better results. The is a great forum at Fenderforum.com that gets very specific about almost every tube modal.

If you're going to be gigging, I consider the size and wieght to be an important factor. You can deffiantly get by with one 12 in a fender tube amp.

Get ready for you guitar experience to change (for the better). :D

Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Flashback

Well, if you've got the money, I'd say go with the Twin Reverb.

Fender '65 Twin Reverb

This amp is famous for it's beautiful clean tone and fantastic reverb. This is a great amp. It is quite powerful at 85 watts. This amp will stay clean to super loud volume. Some consider that a problem. You are not going to be able to push this amp into saturation without wiping out the front row. But with pedals it should be awesome.

The Bassman is a great amp. It is known more as a Rock amp. The original Marshall amps were based on the Bassman. If you can get the volume up where it starts to break up, it gets awesome Rock overdrive tone. Not as clean as the TR or the HRD or DeVille.

The Hot Rod Deluxe and DeVille are really the same amp. The HRD is 1 X 12, the DeVille is either 2 X 12 or 4 X 10. These amps have a great clean channel, but probably not as good as the Twin Reverb (but what amp does?). They are an excellent gigging amp, plenty powerful, and very effect friendly. I have owned an HRD for about 4 years now, it has never let me down once. I would say the HRD and DeVilles are Blues amps. You will need pedals to get Metal or Grunge tones.

The Blues Junior is famous for great tone. It can handle a moderate gig at 15 watts. It might breakup a little early if you have to play with a loud drummer. But it can easily be mic'd and is used by many gigging musicians. As the name implies, it is primarily a Blues amp.

An amp you didn't mention is the Deluxe Reverb. It is a favorite with gigging musicians.

Deluxe Reverb

This amp is loved because it's 22 watts. You can actually crank it at a gig and get natural overdrive. Excellent Reverb too.

A new reissue that is sure to be popular is the Blues Deluxe. This amp was brought back by demand. Hey, it's what Neil Young has always used. :D

Blues Deluxe Reissue

This amp is going to be big. This is a very popular amp with great tone. Very similar to the HRD.

Hoped this helped a little.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I am digging the deluxe reverb, the twin is a bit TOO pricey. But in reality I am purchasing the Blues Deluxe Reissue. I played the Twin Reverb at Mcfayden Music and it was just CRYSTAL clear, and I put a TS9 in front of it and it just made me want to cry. I think for right now sinceI have the money the Blues Deluxe is my answer. It gets a clean enough channel for me and it sounds perfect for my blues influenced style.

THANKYOU EVERYONE! You guys helped me find my amp! Now to find another axe so I can have a drop tuned and standard tuned axe for the set.... yeesh gear hunting never ends does it?

GN ROCKS!

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

After you've run which ever amp you decide on at its saturation point you'll be hooked. A guitar players quest for tone never ends and soon you'll have a room full of guitars and equipment. Guitars on the wall, Guitars leaned against the wall, Guitars on stands and Guitars in cases, here a guitar there a guitar everywhere a guitar.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

I got a Fender that my guitar tech thinks is a 1972 European Re-Issue Blackface Deluxe Reverb. Instead of a plug-in it's got a voltage switch in the back. All tube, all point to point wiring. Replaced the spring reverb pan with the correct one. Retubed it, and had the bias job done and WOW! It's got the Fender MOJO. 22 tube watts of kick ass Fender tube tone! Yeah!

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote