Clear all

Finding the right amp

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@taintedreality)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm only 15 so, my income is very limited. I have to work on a budget because I'm in my school's band and it drains money.

My dad might help pay for an amp, but I'm working with no more than $250 myself. I play a lot of rock (anything from the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, -- up to Metallica). I currently own a Squier Strat, and sometime I plan on buying a second guitar (hopefully a Les Paul, .. by next Christmas).

I understand all-tube amps naturally sound better than solid-state amps, but all-tube amps also cost a lot. Distortion isn't a huge deal for me, but I do appreciate good distortion on an amp. I've noticed some of the cheaper amps don't have all the EQ knobs (treble, mid, bass); I'd rather have those controls.
As far as wattage goes, I don't need more than 30 watts. I'm just playing in my bedroom. "Quality before loudness"--yes, I'd rather have a good tone because I know if I ever join a band we can mic. the amps.

I think that pretty much covers it. I just need a few suggestions on different brands below the $300 price range. Thanks.

- reality

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

TaintedReality

I am very impressed with the new Alesis 30W Spitfire amp. I have never played one, but the sound clips are very impressive. It is a lot of amp for a great price. For another $50 you can get the pedal that will change channels up and down, and includes an expression pedal. I would love to try this amp myself.

Alesis Spitfire 30W

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

I was reasonably pleased with a Vox AD30VT I played last weekend ($240). The Vox AD15VT might be worth checking out as well for only $180. The downside is that the footswitch is a ridiculous $180 more. Maybe a cheaper Behringer controller might work. Also, the controls were a bit difficult to use and confusing, I guess they want you to buy that footswitch; I suppose you would get used to them.
It does have a tube, but I'm not sure if that's just for show as it is really a pre-amp tube.

Also, check out the Tech 21 in the Swap Meet forum. That's a great price for a really good amp. It won't last.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Slothrob

I like that Vox amp as well. Vox makes great amps.

I forgot to mention earlier that Alesis also has a 60 Watt Spitfire with a 12" speaker. These are solid-state amps so you can get the saturation effect even at bedroom levels, but a 60 Watt amp can be used to gig with as well. And still under $200!

Alesis Spitfire 60W

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@morpheus)
Trusted Member

I have been playing around with a Spitfire 60W for about a month now. Great amp for the price! It also has a lot of built in effects to play with.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

That Vox AD30VT rocks! The tube is actually in a seperate power-amp stage, so it has three different stages. Preamp->PA1(tube, 1W)->PA2(Solidstate, 30W).

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

On the Vox, could you figure out where the tube was in relation to the 3 volume knobs (gain, volume, and master, i think)? If it is in a power amp stage, is it under the volume?
So, solid state pre amp (gain)->1 watt power amp (volume)->solid state power amp 2 (master)? ...I think I was using it wrong, but it still sounded good. I'll have to see if I can give it another try and get even better sounds from it.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I thought, but I could be wrong, that master was an indepent version of the channel's volume, where volume goes with the tube. The AD30VT allows you to lower the output wattage, allowing you to push the tube harder for the same volume. As for the Trademark 10, I myself am very impressed with Behringer's near-idential clone called 'Vintager GM110'. Same modeling options, 10" speaker, 30W, tons of I/O options. A mere $100!

ReplyQuote
(@taintedreality)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot for the replies.
The Vox AD30VT has recieved many good reviews and people have scored it high; I'll probably go with it. As far as the foot-controls go, I don't know about that $180 for them. slothrob said a Behringer might work, I'll look into that.

- reality

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

There's a few tube amps around that price range if a person wanted one. I saw a Peavey Classic 20 for 137.00 a couple days ago, it had been in for a complete check up/ sevice and was in mint condition.

What sound are you looking for?

Joe

ReplyQuote