Funny sounds coming from my HRD

30 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ok, so I cranked up the amp today on the clean channel, trying to get that Who sound ;)

Was sounding great at around 6, and then all of a sudden, it sounds HORRIFYING. Gurgling, sounds like some crazy effects pedal, some intense phaser stuff, I DON'T KNOW. Basically sounded horribly terribly horrifyingly scary. haha.

I turn the amp off, wait a few minutes, turn it back on, all is good, and then 5 minutes later, same problem. Thought I may have smelt something sort of burning, that may have been my imagination though.

Wes, this sounds like your problem, no?

Edit: Problem doesn't fix when I switch channels. I recorded the sound too, so if anyone wants to diagnose, I'd be happy to send.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Taso

That does not sound good.

My amp made a buzzing noise, similar to when your guitar jack falls out and you touch it. It was similar to your problem in that I would turn the amp on, it would be fine, and then suddenly start buzzing. I could either throw the amp in standby, or turn it off altogether, then turn the amp back on, it would be fine for a few minutes, then start buzzing loudly again.

But I would absolutely call my sound a buzz.

Since that one gig, my amp has performed flawlessly as it always has done. I am convinced that it was the venue's circuit, not my amp.

Your problem is not the same. If you smelled something burning, you should take the amp to a tech. Most music stores have amp techs. I took my Marshall amp in last week, it has a problem losing volume. It will just fade out. Sometimes it returns, sometimes not. I went on the Marshall amp forum and saw where several people had this problem with the DSL401. Supposedly, it is the preamp tube heater rectifier. I am ok with a soldering iron, but I would prefer a trained expert to do this type of work. So, I took my amp in. They charged me $70 just to pay the bench fee. This is for the tech to open it up and find out what's wrong. Parts and labor are extra. I have not gotten word yet on the total cost, but the Marshall site said this was not an expensive part.

Anyway, just telling you that to give you an idea of the cost. I am sure the fees would be approximately the same give or take a few dollars.

Is your amp under warranty?? If so, you may be able to get this fixed free.

Yeah, post the sound clip here. Maybe someone who knows electronics can give you an idea of what the problem might be.

Good luck, I know it is frustrating when an amp acts up.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@xkmangwingx)
Eminent Member

I had bought a HR Deluxe about4 weeks ago. It sounded great, and it had the vintage 30 in it. After awhile it made a horrible squeing on the "more drive" channel. I took it to a tech in texas(haha), lone star guitar and amps, or something like that, and he said it was a problem with the ground on a jack, a two dollar part, and it would cost 80 to fix. I decided to wait on it. It worked on concrete with no squeeling, and on carpet it squeeled. Then it stopped. anyone know what the problem is?

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

That doesn't sound good at all. You didn't happen to bump something inside putting the tubes in? If this amp is still under warranty I would recommend taking it in for service.

Send me I link or a Mp3 clip.

For now here's a couple thoughts. Improperly biased output tubes, Failing bias supply on fixed bias amplifiers, also the screen resistors could be oscillating.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

It has to be under warranty still, however I don't think I have any reciepts for it, I'll call guitarcenter and see what there policy is.

http://taso.dmusic.com/

"What's that SOUND"

Thanks guys.

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

That is weird, Taso :shock:

Sounds like some kind of ring modulation to me - it's a mystery to me what's happening, BUT given that ring mod is the result of taking the signal from the instrument and adding a second signal from a local oscillator or signal source, I'd guess it's a blown tube in the preamp.

Given that it just happened after a retube, is it a bias problem, or a heater voltage gone totally haywire?

Anyone here with a bit more knowledge than me care to comment? I've never heard anything quite like that from an amp in 30-odd years!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, that sounds like a pedal Hendrix used to use.

Is this your guitar straight into the amp? Are you using a pedal with this clip? Sounds like a pedal with a very low battery.

What kind of guitar do you have? Make, year, and model.

I've never heard an amp make a sound like this either.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Almost sounds like a bad ground or a wire inside the amp is touching something it shouldn't. Take a look at the tube sockets, see if any of the pins are bent or are touching a wire or grounding out. You positive those are the right tubes and are installed right? Without actually being hands on I'd turn it off and find the paper work.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I don't think it's a biasing problem, I'm almost 100% I did that correctly, biasing it to 68 just as that website says.

No, no pedals Wes. Guitar is: Gibson Les Paul Classic Premium Plus model, year 96 or 95, I don't remember.

Joe, what paper work do you speak of? I found all my reciepts and warantee stuff, however if it's a blown tube, I don't want to bring it to Gutiaracenter and then they'll send it off to Fender, when I should just really buy another set of tubes. How do I check to see if any wire is touching anything? And the tube pins? I'd rather not take them out, as it was a big enough pain in the ass putting them in. If that is what I must do, then do it I shall.

Taso, thanks so far guys.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I got my amp back from the place that fixed it a few months ago, I guess I forgot to post the followup.

It was a bad tube, the owner of the store, a big electronics store, had nothing but bad things to say about Eurotubes, he said most of the amps that are brought it, the problem is the eurotubes. So he replaced those and the amp has been working fine for the past few months, until now!!

Ok, so I turn it on, and there is this humming, gentle, soothing, but humming. And every now and then, the amp will CLICK, like its switching channels, but it really isn't, and the tone will change slightly. This was last night.

Today, there are no clicks, however, I was examining the back of the amp while it was running, and the left most BIG tube, is EXTREMLY red and HOT. I put my hand an inch away from it, and had to move it quickly because of the heat, we're talkin' hot. The other tubes all look normal. When the amp made the clicking sound, the leftmost tube, the hot one, appeared to glow a little less, and when it clicked again and the humming increased, it glowed more. I'm also pretty damn sure I smelt something burning.

So what's the deal? new tubes AGAIN? This is getting rediculous.

Anyways, thanks guys.

Edit: P.S. This hotness in that one tube happens even if my guitar isn't plugged in.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I just told my wife I want an HRD for our 25th anniversary( she's getting a diamond) . Its good to know I can find out what to do with any problems I might come across with it :D --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

lmao.

Yeah, seems like I'm having quite a few.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Taso

Boy, I don't know. First, I would recommend Eurotubes to anybody. I have bought tubes several times from Eurotubes for my HRD and Marshall and have not had a single problem of any sort. My Marshall sounds a hundred times better than it did before, just amazing.

What type tube is in there? The correct power tube for the HRD is the 6L6GC. There are lots of different 6L6 tubes and they are not the same.

Also, you should check your bias again. It may have slipped and the amp is running real hot now. I also biased my amp according to Justin's instructions, and again, I have not had one single problem.

The problem I had a few months ago at the wedding has never happened again. I have played my amp many times including 4 or 5 gigs and it has performed flawlessly. It must have been the Country Clubs electrical, perhaps surges from the kitchen. This was a big place with a big restaurant.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well Wes, you solved my problem....inadvertently ;)

So, I'm thinking, maybe they aren't the right tubes. I take the one that waas REALLY hot out, check it, yeah, it's the right tube. I put it back in, amp works fine. No hotness, I have no idea. I sat their watching to see exactly when it would start heating up and glowing a lot, and it didn't. So I plugged in, the tone sounded back to normal, everything was good again, no more humming, no more loud pops.

I guess it just needed some fresh air ;) I checked to make sure it was tight before I posted, I have no idea what was wrong.

Thanks Wes ;)

Taso

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Taso

Great, I am so glad for you. I feel bad when anyone on here has trouble with their amp. Who knows, maybe the tube was not fully seated? Anyway, keep an eye on it for a few days, hope this is the end to your amp problems.

What brand tubes do you have now? Did they change the tone?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2