Clear all

Getting that Boston sound...

16 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@maddmodder)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone. I've got a question about distortion pedals and EFX. I was wondering if anybody knows what kind of pedal/EFX unit I would need to get a sound like the distortion guitar that Boston uses for the intros to songs like "Peace of Mind" and "Don't Look Back". I really like the sound of it and was hoping to learn to play a few of their songs when I get better on guitar. Any help at all is greatly appreciated! Thanks! :D

(@rocker)
Noble Member

it sounds like an mxr distortion plus, i may be wrong, but i get a great boston sound,
with it. when i use my friends marshall half stack.

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You may want to get your hands on an orignal Rockman X-100.

Don't buy the new one's that Dunlap has to offer. It doesn't have the same sound as the original. The difference is that Tom used a Photocell. Dunlap didn't buy the Patent for the use of the Photocell circut. It made a big difference in the sound of the X-100. There for I would try to get your hands on an orignal unit. They are kind of hard to get your hands on one that is in excellent condition but you can find them and will run you $100 to $200 dollars.

Here's a list of Tom Scholz's Equipment

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@maddmodder)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help with the distortion guys! I'll keep my eyes out for the Rockman at the music store. When I was there yesterday it looked like they had a ton of old vintage equipment, maybe theres an original Rockman in there. Again, thanks! :D

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

The Rockman had distortion, chorus and echo. Also, I think it had an exciter and compression.

There is a Mockman circuit on RunoffGroove.com which uses LEDs for distortion.
I built it, but didn't really like it that much. The circuit needs to be fine-tuned for each player's setup.

Replacing the diodes in an OpAmp distortion circuit is a fairly common way to increase the distortion, whether it is a MXR Distortion Plus, a Boss DS-1, or a TS-808. There's a famous "Seeing Eye" pedal modification that mounts the LED so you can see it blinking while you play.

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@maddmodder)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I found six X100's on eBay only 5 of which were original Scholz models. I'd buy one but I figured it was kind of a dumb idea when I don't even have my electric yet and I can't even play any of Boston's songs (yet)...maybe there will be more in the future...

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

I found six X100's on eBay only 5 of which were original Scholz models. I'd buy one but I figured it was kind of a dumb idea when I don't even have my electric yet and I can't even play any of Boston's songs (yet)...maybe there will be more in the future...

As a beginner, you might want to consider something a little more versatile than a Rockman.
It's an awesome one-trick pony, and you might outgrow it.
You might want to look at some newer modeling amps -- most have a Boston patch, and plenty of others.

Also, Boston songs are quite complicated ... they have everything you could ask for --- awesome acoustic parts, heavy distorted rhythms, and searing leads. It can be a handful for a beginner ... then again, I couldn't think of a better band to start with!

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Does anyone know if some of the Multi-EFX pedals are capable of making a similar Boston sound. One guy on Harmony Central said he could get that sound with ease. I think he was using the Line 6 PodXT. X pensive, at only $400. It's out of my range for NOW.

I was telling a friend of mine that when I play along with the CD I can get decent sounds atleast similar to most bands I play along with, mostly 38 Special. But when it comes to Boston I feel like I am not even playing with the same instrument as Tom Scholz. Tom and his Boston sound IMHO does not get any where near the recognition that he/it deserves.

Oh well maybe he will come out with a Boston stomp box. NOT LIKELY! But I can dream can't I.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

The Rockman's were the units that did the trick for that sound.

Here's what I have setup for creating that sound. It's alot more than one unit.

Analog Effects:
Compressor..Drive 43%, Slope 4:1, Release 750ms, Attack 4ms, Output 100%
Expander..Range 62% Ratio 1:3
Distortion.. Tube, Drive 96%, Bite 84%, Output 68%
Noisegate..50%
2nd Equalizer..+6db 40hz, +4db 100hz, +6db 250hz, -2db 640hz, +2db 1.6Khz, +6db 4Khz, -6dbKhz
AES..Program Level 91%

Digital Effects:
Chorus..Width 40%, Speed 0.80hz, delay 20ms, Level 93%
Reverb..Room-1, Source Pre-DDL, Delay 2.6s, Dampening 50%, Postition 33%, Level 87%
Digital Delay..460ms, Fine 0%, Regen 42%, Level 38%

Mix:
Dry..0%, Analog..84%, Digital 34%

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Thanks Joe, I saved that info. Sadly I am not that advanced yet. But I am working on it.

Ballpark figure, how much would all of those EFX cost me.

Are you using a tube AMP?

Thanks!

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Dunlap didn't buy the Patent for the use of the Photocell circut. If there was a patent on it, it's long since expired. They're not like these accursed copyrights that just keep on going and going and going...

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

I went to the Boston.org message board the other day and posted a message in hopes that Tom Scholz would read it. It basically said that I wanted him to make an EFX box for the Boston sound. Maybe he will, who knows.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I don't think of the equipment I use in dollars and cents, their investments. Currently I'm using five tube amps and 16 rack spaces of effect processors, equalizers, line conditioners, and one custom built tube processor. My setup allows for many different combinations for adding to it. If you think postitive, stay way from negative influences, and keep focused you'll one day achieve your dream.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

If my memory of a Tom Scholz biography that I read a while back serves me right, he graduated from MIT with an engineering degree which a lot of people say explains why he was able to produce one of the most unique (and, IMHO, sheely awesome) sounds in rock 'n roll. Haha, I know this knowledge didn't help me get their sound down, but it let me appreciate why it's so great and hard to copy...Tom was one smart guy!

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes he was very smart. I guess it goes to say about staying in school. After you've been playing for awhile and really listening to other guitarists tone you'll be able to identify and play right along with them. Then if you keep on keeping on you'll move onto your own original sound. Which may very well be a saught after sound of other guitarist.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2