Ghost Acoustic Pickups (For Electric Guitar) aka FAAS

10 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@fireman-sam)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi All,

I'm a newbie, and have been playing an Onyx (imitation Ovation straight acoustic on loan from my really nice boss!) for a couple of months now, and having a great time! :D Last Friday I played my first electric guitar at a friends place. It was a Fender Squier with reverse headstock, and he'd customised the body a little. Running it through a Behringer V-Amp, it sounded great to have all those different amps and effects.

However, now comes the difficult choice of what to buy for my first guitar...now I know that you guys must be sick of people asking what they should look out for, and I have done my own research in this matter, but I have a question regarding these Ghost Acoustic pickups.

You see - the master of things financial - The Wife :wink: - has a preference to Acoustic sounds, and I kinda like the versatility of the electric, and as my mate suggested on Friday, get both! But, I've got to get one, then obviously save for the other. But my mate said that you could get a bridge that sounds like an acoustic from an electric guitar !

So I did some research and Graph Tech http://www.graphtech.com have a product called the Ghost which does this. I would like to ask...

1. Is this a hard piece of equipment to install... I know my way around a soldering iron, but would like to hear of any other testimonies...
2. Has anyone else used them ? Whats the sound 'really' like ?
3. In Australia - Any other cheaper retailers... Billy Hydes has them priced at AUD $359 incl GST.

Thanks - and appreciate any feedback !!

(@97reb)
Noble Member

So, you plan on buying an electric an then that ghost pick-up. That ghost pick costs as much as some acoustics. If you have the money for an electric, then maybe a short time later, you can get the acoustic or vice versa. Don't know what you plan on spending on either. For around (maybe a little over) AUD $400, you can get a pretty decent acoustic or electric. I have found several electrics in that price range that I like and a couple of acoustics that I would not be opposed to buying. I would prefer a more expensive acoustic personally, because I feel the quality is generally better the more you spend. There are good deals and finds though.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@fireman-sam)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

97reb,

I agree... and I think that's what I'll do... purchase the elec first, then as it would cost me the same as the ghost unit, buy an acoustic/electric.

You're right... for about $400 or so you can get a Cort or Washburn, and get a smoother acoustic sound, so if I have to wait for a while and save to get something decent, it'll be worth it... I'm not into performing or anything yet, so the issue of having two guitars shouldn't be a prob...

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Get both.

What I mean is a Hollowbody electric guitar. You will be able to get the sound of the acoustic and electric guitar.

I don't know what your budget is, but there is a wide selection on sites like Musicians Friend. Just go to Guitars, Electric, and the Hollowbody.

Here is a very nice guitar that gets great reviews for a very modest price.

Oscar Schmidt OE40

Here are some other options.

Ibanez Artcore AM73

Epiphone Dot

There are many others besides these.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@fireman-sam)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Wes Inman,

My boss also suggested to get a semi acoustic... I have seen them before, I just wasn't aware of what sounds they can make...

So you're saying that they can sound like an acoustic and an electric... ?

Do they have a flick switch between the two ? Will one amp suffice for both sounds ? Will I be able to run a board like the VAmp or Pod for other effects ?

Thanks for your reply...

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Fireman Sam

If you get a Hollowbody or Semi-Hollow, it will sound very much like an acoustic to begin with. You can play these guitars unplugged and they sound great.

Then you can run it into an amp, mixing board, or effects processor and yes, it will get all the effects.

These guitars do tend to feedback at high volume. But that shouldn't really be a problem. Just do what Ted Nugent did. Play the feedback! :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@fireman-sam)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Is that feedback due to the humbuckers ?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Fireman Sam

No, the feedback is due to the hollowbody design.

But don't worry about that. I am talking about very high volumes. At reasonable volumes you won't have any problems at all.

Heh, they were good enough for John Lennon and Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues! And they played plenty loud.

Justin Hayward

John Lennon

Ted Nugent

ReplyQuote
(@fireman-sam)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks heaps for your time Wes Inman... although they appear to be a little more expensive than straight electrics... I will look into getting one, and playing it unplugged whilst I save for an amp...

Would I need to get an acoustic amp for it, as opposed to a normal amp ?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Fireman Sam

Either would work fine, but it sounds like you want an electric guitar amp to get some distortion!

You could use the clean channel to get the acoustic sound.

Most amps have an overdrive channel as well. You could use this to Rock. 8)

If you have a music store nearby, try some of these guitars through acoustic and electric guitar amps. Find a guitar and amp with a tone you love. That's what's really important.

Let us know what you get.

ReplyQuote