Clear all

gigging amps

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jimmybinder)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

i'm wondering if anyone has any advice on proper gigging amps...i'm just starting to gig w/ my band in smallish clubs around the city and up until this point i've been using other people's gear. (a bum, i know!!) anyway, it's about time I bought my own, so i'm wondering if i should go all out and save for a nice Marshall half stack, or something of that sort, or go for something more portable like a 2x12 combo. any suggestions?

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Definitely more portable. For the rest, what gear do you have, what music do you play, what sound are you after and, best of all, what's your budget? To beat the rest, I'm sure you'll find plenty of people recommending the Fender Hotrod here. It's a basic Fender tube-amp, more then loud enough for most gigs, great clean and 'mild' overdrive, responds well to pedals. It is somewhat affordable, rocksolid and last you a lifetime.

But there are so many options we need more info.

ReplyQuote
(@jimmybinder)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

...sorry for the lack of info guys! Basically I want a tube amp with a nice clean channel. The distortion isn't too important because I use a Boss Blues Driver pedal. Maybe something with a bit of reverb, but my main concern is something nice and clear where i can hear all the notes...clean or distorted. price range: $300-$400. hope this helps?

ReplyQuote
(@peaveyt60)
Eminent Member

My picks are:
- Peavey duel
- Fender Hot Rod
- traynor ycv40

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

For the price you mentioned ($300-$400) the Peavey 112 ValveKing is about the best deal out there.

Peavey ValveKing 112

This amp has been out about a year now, and gets pretty darn good reviews. You have to remember this is a budget amp, I hate when people complain a $400 amp doesn't sound as wonderful as an amp that cost $2000. No kidding. :roll:

But Peavey has always made very good amps that are reliable. 50 watts will be plenty of power to play small and medium clubs. Anything over that just mic it into the PA.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote