Notifications
Clear all

Give me your opinion!

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@symon)
Topic starter  

Okay, it's time for symon to get a pedal to replace the crappy distortion that his Fender Frontman 15-G amp has to offer.

I am into metal/hard rock stuff, and my pedal needs to get me some VERY heavy distortion.

I've narrowed it down to two pedals, but since I know crap about pedals, I want your opinions on it:

Boss MD-2
http://www.music123.com/Boss-MD2-i10794.music
It looks like it gets good reviews, and it can definitely crunch, but...

We have the DigiTech Death Metal
http://www.music123.com/Digitech-Digitech-Death-Metal-i134215.music
This one gets good reviews too. I like the sound alot, and it sounds pretty versitile. Not to mention it's a few bucks cheaper.

So, which one is better? Which one will let me get really really hard, like a Metallica or Megadeth? And will that same pedal allow me to have a bit gentler sound?

Thanks for your advice.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/vodelight/sig.png

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Either one of them would work. I havn't used either of the pedals you asked about. I don't use pedals for creating distortion. I drive a 100 watt tube amp into a dummyload with equalizers before and after the amp. It allows me to control the distortion how I want it to sound. I think you'll get the sound your after with either of them.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@gjbrake)
Reputable Member

Hey!

Can't comment on the Digitech, but I used to have the MD-2.

Personally I hated it, as the basic tone when it was on was completely different to that when it was off. I wanted a tone that was the same, only distorted! Also, I found that when playing more than three strings the sound became very muddy and messy.

However, in fairness, I think you are looking for something different than I was. It certainly has LOADS of gain and sounds great for leads and power chords. If that's what you're gonna be playing, then go for it.

It's not going to get you a gentler sound though, the MD-2 knows no such thing. I doubt the Digitech does either. Might be you'll want to get an overdrive pedal as well.

Listen Louder Than You Play

ReplyQuote
(@wah-wah_junkie)
Eminent Member

I dont have direct experience with either of those pedals, im not a fan of playing metal myself but my friend owns a digitech death metal.

It certainly packs some heavy distortion. it is also very versatile.

I would reccomend the digitech if you are looking for full-on thumping metal.

"We are all very lucky to live in a
world where there is this much music"

John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@symon)
Topic starter  

Okay, thanks for your help, guys!

I actually have decided I'm not going to get either the Boss or that particular Digitech, although I am seriously considering getting the Digitech DF-7 Distortion factory. Anybody know about the DF-7?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

symon

First of all, Welcome to Guitar Noise.

I think you just have to go down and try some pedals. If possible, take your guitar and amp with you. And just go with the pedal that turns you on!

I don't want this to sound offensive in anyway, but usually beginners or especially young players (I used to be young :D ) like total DISTORTION !

But what you will discover in time is that the pros do not do this at all. They turn gain way down. This will give the tone a much tighter definition. It will be tight. It will grind. This is what you want.

A lot of these pedals will just fuzz out. They sound pretty good at low bedroom volumes, but when you play loud it will just be a wall of noise. It will sound like air escaping from a flat tire. This is not the tone the pros use.

No, they do it more like Joe (Forrok Star) is describing. They use a quality tube amp that is cranked. Most probably use an attenuator. Then they use a quality distortion pedal with the gain probably about 1/2. This is THE TONE that will blow your mind. Your guitar will scream. You will have sustain for years. And your rhythm playing will be tighter than your belt after Thanksgiving dinner!

Now I know you probably don't have funds for all this. But you can do a lot with what you've got. Get one of those pedals. But turn the gain down. Learn to coax the fire out of your guitar and amp with your fingers. That is what the pros do.

Go for the pedal that has tone, not HYPER DISTORTION.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

have you tried a mxr distortion plus? its the best in my opionion, i 'm like wes and forrok, not big into heavey distortion, i'm more into the clean
with a good wah, but the mxr is a good as it gets 8)

ReplyQuote
(@symon)
Topic starter  

I don't want this to sound offensive in anyway, but usually beginners or especially young players (I used to be young :D ) like total DISTORTION...Go for the pedal that has tone, not HYPER DISTORTION.

That's why I'm leaving the Death Metal/MD-2 pedals, because I just felt like they wouldn't have a tone, just more noise.

That's why I'm going with the DF-7, because it seems to have a better tone. You're right, I do NOT want a wall of white noise.

And about the n00bs liking distortion, thank God I'm past that point! :D

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

If your going to use a distortion pedal you really should bracket it between equalizer pedals which will give you better control over the distortion produced from the distortion pedal. Why be stuck with the sound of a distortion pedal some tech in a factory came up with that doesn't even have a clue what guitar playing is all about. Basically I'm saying take control of you tone, make it sound and talk the way you want it to, not the way someone else wants it to.

When you get some time read through some of the Question here in the amps & efx section of this forum, you see some pretty remarkable guitar signal chains along with lists of the equipment needed and/or used to produce those tones you hear on the radio and Cd's you hear today and that everybody has heard over the years. You won't find this kind of information anywhere else on the net. Here at Guitarnoise we give up all the knowledge and secrets to bring out the best in you and your guitar playing.

If anything it will give ideas on how create your signal chain and to save yourself money and how money can be better spent. This is from someone who has spent unlimited amounts of time and money over the years and still does in that search for tone.

Joe

ReplyQuote