Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Im wanting to start a garage band..

Me...vocals/guitar
Friend...bass
Friend...drums
Friend...guitar
Friend...bass

We are already a band..but on hold for a little while..I know the double bass sounds weird, but the stuff the write together is amazing..

Now to my question...what would be a nice sounding amp for the band...Right now im playing an ESP EC-400...and a Squier 15 Frontman... :-/...I saw some of Tucker's posts....I DONT HATE SQUIER!!!...but that amp isnt loud enough at all....so does anyone have any ideas for a garage band amp?..and at a reasonable price of course...and would a used amp work?

Thanks

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

There's lots of possibilities. It depends on the sound and tone your after. You could Mic the frontman.

I've always favored all tube amps running at the power out saturation point were the power amp and speakers take on sound of their own. You can feel the music you play in your fingers.

Sure a full stack or even a 1/2 stack looks pretty impressive in the back line. Unless the venue is large enough to allow you to run it at that volume, but then again you could put an Attenuator between the amp and the cabinet which would allow you to run the amp into saturation at a lower volume. even a smaller amp will work for this setup.

Another thought would be pre-amp or Muliti-effects floor pedal run stereo into to two guitar amps. Which will give you very impressive stereo effects. I've run two 15 watt amps and a zoom 505 and miked the amps. they keep up with the other guitarist with the larger amps.

It all comes down to your decision of what you want and how you can achieve the best sound with what you already have. This is were experimenting and practice comes into play. the possibilities are endless.

Hope I shed some light on the subject.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I'm assuming that your playing "garage rock" music?

Depending on how urgent your need is, save up some pennies and go look at valve amps.

fender have some really nice ones, depending what your after, i'm really liking the look of the amps with built in reverb (just cuz i like reverb) and you can really pump valve amps like farrok said.

But, your name, Cradleoffilth6, suggests your looking for something a little more gain heavy?

Hughes and Kettner, ashdown fallen angel, even the peavey 5010, do some great valve amps.

or if your looking for something a little more versatile and possibly more extreme, check out the line 6 spider II

from what i remember about hassling the guy getting it out of the wrapping paper, it has 4 high gain settings, and is really phenominal...

Just see what you like, and what feel your after.

I'm only guessing :)

Chalmodo

ReplyQuote
(@reflectionsfading6)

Double bass thing sounds awesome! For the amp. Rogue makes a 100 watt combo with effects for $199.00. You can find it at http://www.musiciansfriend.com

ReplyQuote