Help-Amp Problems

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I have a performance tomorrow night, and have just discovered a problem with my amp.
It seems that my amp picks up cell phone interference. Whenever anyone has a cell phone near it, it emits this wierd clicking noise at a loud volume. Worse yet, this is a jazz gig, so everyone will hear it. It's also in front of about 600 people, so i'm sure that there will be cellphones in the crowd. I'm gonna try to see if I can get the administrators to make an announcement to turn off all cellphones, but you know how people are...there are sure to be cellphones there that are left on.

This is the funny part: I never noticed this problem because this isn't my main amp(my usual is unavailable). I don't own a cellphone, and haven't really used this amp out in public very much before. Therefore, I never encountered this problem before.
The amp is an old Yorkville Bloc 100G. Solid State, one 12" speaker, and 100w.

This is extremely urgent, and any help would be greatly appreciated!

xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Come on...please help...the performance is in a few hours...

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I would try different guitar cables. Check the amp for a bad ground inside., can you reverse the polarity.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Ended up turning the amp down all of the way between songs...worked out fine I guess, but i'd still like to know why the amp does this...

ReplyQuote
(@lava-man)
Estimable Member

What you need is a good power condtioner with an RFI/EMI filtering - this plugs into the wall and then you plug your amp into it - this typically solves most of these types of problems. Also extra shielded AC power cord can usually eliminates this. Changing your cable as mentioned in a previous post should also help - doing both should eliminate the problem completely. Should not have to turn down just to avoid this problem...

Lava Man
http://www.lavacable.com

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Thats a good point about the a/c power being dirty.

joe

ReplyQuote